Chapter Twelve

When they got to the castle, it was still pouring so hard that everyone was running to get to shelter, and Zabini didn't even spare them a contemptuous glance as they rushed into the entrance hall. Edward shook out his now-shoulder-length hair, sending droplets everywhere.

"Ugh," said Onyx, grimacing as he rung out his robes, "if that keeps up the lake's going to overflow. I'm soak -- ARRGH!"

A huge, water-filled balloon had fallen from the ceiling and exploded on Onyx's head. Everyone jumped out of the way as, twenty feet above them, Peeves grabbed another water balloon and took aim.

"Peeves!" Ruby cried, sounding both delighted and furious. The poltergiest froze. "We're already soaking wet! You could at least fill it with warm water!"

"Sorry, Lady Mischief," said Peeves in an oily tone.

"PEEVES!" McGonagall yelled as she ran toward them. "Peeves, come down here at ONCE! Oops-" She had slid on the very wet floor and slammed into Topaz, grabbing him around the neck to stop herself from falling.

"Ouch -- sorry, Mr. Black." McGonagall straightened.

"That's all right, Professor," said Topaz, grimacing as he massaged his throat.

"Peeves, get down here NOW!" McGonagall yelled at the poltergiest.

"Not doing nothing!" Peeves grinned, throwing a balloon at a group of fifth-year girls. Edward pulled out his wand and froze the balloon in midair.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," said McGonagall with a sigh.

A mischievous grin appeared on Ruby's face, and she pulled out her wand. She pointed it at Peeves while he was glaring at Edward, and all the balloons exploded in his face. The balloon suspended over the fifth-years shot upward and hit him over the head.

The poltergiest let out a loud yelp as the entrance hall exploded with laughter. Peeves gave Ruby a rueful yet annoyed look before shaking like a dog, spreading water all over, and then shot down the hall.

"Thank you, Miss Black," said McGonagall. "Well?" she added to the students as a whole. "Into the Great Hall, come on!"

"Wait, Professor," said Edward, "we're all freezing-" He waved his wand, and a wave of hot air blasted the entrance hall. Everyone was suddenly dry and warm, and the floor was no longer wet.

McGonagall rolled her eyes and muttered something like "show off" before beckoning them into the Great Hall.

Edward, Draco, Onyx, and Topaz joined the Gryffindors as usual, sitting with their four friends next to Nearly Headless Nick, who was looking around delightedly.

"Good evening," he said warmly as they sat down.

"Says who?" asked Onyx irritably. "I swear I'm going to hex that poltergiest."

"Hope they hurry up with the Sorting, I'm starving," said Ruby, glaring at Onyx. "And no hexing my Partner in Mischief."

"Hiya, Harry! Hiya, Edward!"

Edward stifled a groan as Colin Creevey popped up next to them, looking excited.

"Hi, Colin," said Harry with a frown.

"Harry, guess what?" asked Colin excitedly. "Guess what? My brother's starting! My brother Dennis!"

"Er, good," said Harry. Behind him, Ruby, Ron, Onyx, and Draco were sniggering quietly.

"He's really excited!" said Colin, bouncing up and down beside Edward. "I just hope he's in Gryffindor! Keep your fingers crossed!"

"Er, okay," said Harry, looking relieved as Colin sped off to talk to Neville. "Brothers and sisters usually go in the same Houses, don't they?" he asked Edward, Topaz, and Hermione.