Chapter Eighteen

Angry buzzing filled the Hall at this. Edward saw the shocked, stunned look on his brother's face -- actually, on all his friends' faces -- and frowned. What complete idiot would put Harry's name in the goblet?

He got up and said quietly, "Harry, come on."

"But-" Harry stared at him. "But I didn't-"

"I know, but you know the rules. We have to participate. Come on."

He led his brother up to the staff table toward Dumbledore, who was now talking quietly to Professor McGonagall. They both looked at Edward as he and Harry got up to the table.

Seeing Edward's frustrated but calculating expression, Dumbledore said quietly, "You didn't put your names in."

"No," said Edward, seeing the angry looks on Maxime's and Karkaroff's faces. "We still have to go in, don't we?"

Dumbledore nodded grimly, and Edward grabbed Harry's arm, leading him to the door behind the staff table.

The room they entered was a smaller room, lined with portraits, and a fireplace was at the back of the room. Krum, Cedric, and Fleur were leaning against the mantlepiece, waiting.

"What is it?" Fleur asked when she saw them. "Do zey want us back in ze Hall?"

"Actually," Edward sighed, "either someone's played a very dangerous practical joke, or someone wants me and Harry dead -- because both of our names just came out of the Goblet of Fire." He ignored the shocked looks from the other three champions and began pacing, trying to figure out who had put his and Harry's names in the goblet.

He had only been thinking for a few moments when Dumbledore, Ludo Bagman, Crouch, Karkaroff, and Maxime entered the room, followed closely by McGonagall, Moody, and Snape. He looked up.

"Madam Maxime," said Fleur, "zey are saying zat zeez little boys are to compete also!"

Edward gave Fleur a cold look, and out of the corner of his eye, saw Karkaroff turn white again.

"What is ze meaning of zis, Dumbly-dorr?" Maxime asked, glaring at Dumbledore.

"I think I know what happened," Edward said quietly, and everyone turned to him. Only Fleur and Maxime were looking disbelieving.

"Someone -- a powerful wizard, someone with access to the Goblet of Fire -- added two other schools, so that me and Harry would be sure to come out of the goblet. Either someone wants us dead, or they need us for something.... No student would have been able to hoodwink the goblet like that...."

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought," said Karkaroff, sounding suspicious. "And I've heard rumors about you -- you're smarter than most students-"

"Which would mean that he would be intelligent enough to not put his name in," said Snape icily. "Edward has never broken the rules unless in great need-"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore calmly. He looked at Edward. "Are you quite sure?"

Edward nodded grimly.

"Mr. Crouch... Mr. Bagman," said Karkaroff, frowning, "you are our -- er -- objective judges. Surely you will agree that this is most irregular?"

Crouch was the one who answered. "We must follow the rules, and the rules state clearly that those people whose names come out of the Goblet of Fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

"Well, Barty knows the rule book back to front," Bagman beamed.

"I insist upon resubmitting the names of the rest of my students," said Karkaroff. "You will set up the Goblet of Fire once more, and we will continue adding names until each school has three champions. It's only fair, Dumbledore."