Chapter Fifteen

(I couldn't find a way to fit SPEW in the book, so I'm not putting it in... but they're still on the house-elves side.)

Hedwig arrived, not with the other owls, but the night after the Gryffindors had their first lesson with Moody.

They were all in the Gryffindor common room doing Divination homework, long after everyone else had gone to bed, when there was a tapping noise on the window. Edward walked over and yelped. "Harry, it's Hedwig!"

"What?" Harry, Ron, Onyx, and Ruby chorused.

Edward opened the window and Hedwig soared into the room, landing on Harry's lap.

"About time!" Harry exclaimed, taking the note off of Hedwig's lap.

"What's it say?" Onyx and Ruby said together.

They all crowded close to Harry as he read Sirius' response aloud.

Harry --

I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar is the latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached me here. If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore -- they're saying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he's reading the signs, even if no one is.

I'll be in touch soon. My best to my kids, and your other friends. Keep your eyes open, Harry, and STICK WITH EDWARD.

Sirius

"You were right," said Harry with a frown. "He is coming back. I shouldn't have told him-"

"Yes, you should have," said Edward sharply. "He'll want to know of things like that. And he's smart enough to take care of himself, Harry. Don't worry." He stood up. "I'm going to write to Remus, tell him about Sirius." And a few things about Moody that have been worrying me....

---------------

Edward wished he had waited to tell Remus about his suspicions, because he got another one the next Wednesday. Moody had announced that he would be performing the Imperius Curse on each of them, so that he could teach them how to fight it.

"But -- but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Onyx with a frown. "You said -- to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," Moody interrupted. Edward relaxed slightly -- Moody did follow Dumbledore's orders -- but he still didn't trust him.

He beckoned students forward in turn and began putting the curse on them.

It was rather like the beetle. Everyone did things that they normally wouldn't have done, and not one of them could fight it. Draco and Onyx were very annoyed when they were released, finding out that Draco had done ballet around the room and Onyx had crawled on the floor, wailing like a baby.

"Potter, you next," said Moody, looking faintly nervous. Edward kept his expression unreadable as he strode forward; but he was wondering why the teacher was afraid of him. The last teacher that had been that nervous of him had had Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head.

"Imperio!" said Moody, interrupting his thoughts.

Edward felt a floating sensation in his head, and most of his thoughts and worries disappeared. He could still think, not quite as well as he could when his mind was free.

A voice spoke in his head.

Spin around.

No, thank you, said a voice like Edward's, calm and warning. I quite like standing still and I'd rather not be told what to do, especially not something as embarrassing as that.