Chapter Thirty-Nine

Edward cracked into view, right in front of the stands, next to Dumbledore, McGonagall, Severus, the minister, Cedric, and a sobbing couple. Everyone jumped in surprise. Edward staggered, and Severus caught him.

"Where's Harry?" Edward asked wildly, clutching Severus' arm and standing upright.

"Where did you learn to Apparate?" Fudge demanded.

Edward didn't respond; he'd just noticed that Crouch Junior was gone, too. "Where's Moody?" he snarled.

Dumbledore froze. "Severus, Minerva, come."

"I'm coming, too," Edward insisted.

"You-!" Fudge began angrily.

"Minister," Edward hissed, "my brother is in danger, and if you don't mind, I'd like to make sure he's okay before I speak to you!"

"Edward," Severus said warily, laying a hand on his shoulder.

Edward realized he'd released his magic -- again -- but didn't bother to calm himself. He turned and marched in the direction of the castle, where he saw Crouch and a limping Harry disappearing through the doors.

---------------------

"Expulso!" Edward snarled, and the door exploded backwards. When he entered the room, he found Crouch Junior, still in Moody's form, pinned beneath the rubble of the door.

"Ed!" Harry cried in relief, trying to stand up. Edward glared at him, and Harry quickly relaxed into the chair.

Edward stormed over to Crouch and shoved his wand into his face. "Crouch Junior," Edward spat.

"Edward," came Dumbledore's voice, which was calm but hiding extreme fury. "Please sit down with Harry. I'll deal with the imposter."

"Yes, headmaster," Edward grumbled, turning away from the teacher and collapsing beside Harry, who smiled weakly.

Dumbledore strode into the room, followed by Severus and McGonagall. A flick of Dumbledore's wand, and Moody was disarmed and frozen.

McGonagall walked over to Edward and Harry as Dumbledore kicked the rubble off of Crouch Junior. "Come along, Potters," she whispered. "Come along... hospital wing..."

"No," Dumbledore said quietly. "Harry may go to the hospital wing, but I'd like to talk to Edward."

"I'm fine," Harry insisted.

"Harry," Edward said warningly. "You need your leg and arm fixed. And you're exhausted."

"You dueled Voldemort!" McGonagall and Severus flinched, then gasped. "You need the hospital wing too!"

"None of his spells hit me, Harry. I'm just tired," Edward told him. And upset from discovering his true parentage....

"Severus," Dumbledore said calmly. "Please fetch me the strongest Truth Potion you possess, and then go down to the kitchens and bring up the house-elf called Winky. Minerva, kindly escort Harry to the hospital wing, then go down to Hagrid's house, where you will find a large black dog sitting in the pumpkin patch. Take him and Remus up to my office and tell them I will be there shortly, then come back here."

The two professors exchanged confused glances, but immediately left the room, Harry limping behind them.

When they'd gone, Dumbledore fished a ring of keys out of Crouch's robes and went over to the trunk.

"It's the last one," Edward said quietly. Dumbledore cast him a faintly concerned look, but turned back to the chest.

Inside was a small room, where the real Moody was curled up, breathing faintly. His leg and eye were missing, and his hair was chopped off on one side.