Chapter Sixteen

They all headed inside the Great Hall. Edward noticed that the Beauxbatons students were sitting with the Ravenclaw table, and the Durmstrang students were now settling down at the Slytherin table.

Onyx halted, staring at them, and began bouncing on his toes.

Edward laughed. "All right, we'll sit with the Slytherins this time. Draco, are you joining?"

"No," said Draco, grimacing. "I'd rather sit with Harry and the others.... See you in the common room later." He walked off to the Gryffindors.

"Come on," Edward said to Onyx, who looked delighted now. They walked over to the Durmstrang lot and sat down across from Viktor Krum.

"You vere in the Top Box," said Krum when he saw them. "Vith the red-haired family."

"Yes," said Edward politely. "I'm Edward Potter-"

"Vhat?" several of the Durmstrang students yelped.

"You are related to Harry Potter?" Viktor Krum asked, eyes wide.

"He's his brother," said Onyx excitedly. "I'm their friend, Onyx Black."

"Vhy are you in Slytherin, then?" asked one of the Durmstrang students, frowning. "All the Potters haff been in Gryffindor-"

"The Hat considered that," Edward admitted, "along with the other Houses, but in the end it put me in Slytherin." He glanced up at the staff table and fell silent.

Dumbledore had studdenly stood up, smiling, and the school went quiet.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," said Dumbledore, "ghosts, and -- most particularly -- guests. I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."

One of the Beauxbatons girls gave a derisive laugh through her muffler. Edward took out his wand and pointed it at the visiting students.

Instantly, they all relaxed, having been hit with a wave of warmth.

"Vhy did you do that?" Krum whispered, but Edward shook his head and nodded toward Dumbledore, who was speaking again.

"...tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," he was saying. "I now invite you to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home."

Edward turned back to the table and found that the platters, which had filled with food as usual, also had unfamiliar dishes. There was a plate full of odd-looking sausages; a soup with unfamiliar meat in it and the distinct smell of vinegar; and shish kebabs of meat, potatoes, and peppers.

"Ooh," said Onyx, staring at the new foods. "What're these?"

"Shishcheta," said one of the Durmstrang boys, pointing at the shish kebabs, "Lukanka-" he pointed at the sausages "-and Pacha." He pointed at the soup.

"Does the soup taste good?" asked Onyx, looking down at it with a mixture of excitement and apprehension.

"Oh, yes," said the boy, grinning slightly. "Very sveet."

Edward frowned. "Vinegar is not usually sweet."

"How did you know it had vinegar in it?" asked Krum, the rest of the Durmstrang students staring at him.

"I can smell it," Edward answered. He began dishing the normal foods -- mashed potatoes, turkey, rolls -- as Onyx poured some of the Pacha into a bowl.

"What's that?" Onyx asked with his mouth full of of the soup, pointing at a large steak-and-kidney pudding.

"I haff no idea," said Krum, frowning. "It looks French."