Chapter Thirty-Eight

"A duel?" Voldemort sounded amused, and the Death Eaters laughed, but they sounded nervous. Edward ignored this, keeping his angry, cold gaze on his father. "Very well. What are your terms?"

"If I win, you let Harry, Gabriel and I go back to Hogwarts, as we are now," Edward said sharply. "No Imperiuses, or compulsions, or anything like that. If you win..."

"You join me, I kill Harry Potter, and Nagini gets two corpses for dinner," Voldemort suggested.

"Ed, what the heck are you doing?" Harry hissed.

"Hush Potter," Voldemort sneered.

"I don't care if you win," Edward snapped, "you hurt Harry, I will cast the Dolor Aeternam spell on you."

The Death Eaters hissed, some in fear, some in defense of their master.

"What spell is that?" Harry asked, frowning.

"The Eternal Pain spell," Edward responded in a much more civil tone. "It's worse than the Cruciatus."

Harry looked appalled.

"Ah, so loyal," Voldemort chuckled. "Very well then. You join me, I'll keep Potter prisoner, and Nagini gets one corpse for dinner. Better?"

"Fine," Edward snapped. He wordlessly summoned his wand from Wormtail, who yelped. "Do you agree to my terms?"

Voldemort studied him lazily. Finally he responded with, "I agree."

Black light flared in the clearing, signifying that the agreement was bound by magic.

"Do you know how to duel?" Voldemort asked curiously.

"Yes. I dueled your sixteen-year-old self in second year," Edward scoffed.

There were worried, interested murmurs from the Death Eaters.

"Who won?" Voldemort questioned, making his wand appear.

"...he almost did," Edward responded. "But I've learned a lot since then."

"Well then," Voldemort sneered. "Let's begin, shall we?"

Edward took three steps back, keeping his eyes on Voldemort. The Dark Lord did the same, eyes glittering with curiosity and interest.

"One," Voldemort began. "Two.... three! Crucio!"

Edward dived out of the way, summersaulted to his feet, and shouted, "Nebulosus!" (Foggy.)

Dark fog exploded from his wand, covering the cemetery in seconds. The Death Eaters shouted in alarm, and Voldemort snarled in frustration.

"Visus Anguis," Edward whispered. (Snake sight.) Instantly, his vision darkened, and he could see the heat signatures of the Death Eaters, Voldemort, and Harry. He could also see magic flowing off of the Triwizard Cup.

Edward picked up Harry's wand, slipped over to his brother and hissed, "When I give the signal, grab Gabriel and summon the Cup!" He flicked his wand, making the bonds disappear. "Visus Anguis."

Harry took his wand and whispered, "But what about you?"

"I can Apparate," Edward responded, disappearing back into the fog. Barely. But Splinching was better than death.

"Edward Riddle!" Voldemort yelled. "Where are you? Show yourself! Coward!"

"I am a Slytherin, not a coward, Voldemort," Edward said lazily, making his voice appear to come from all sides. "There is a difference."