Chapter Twenty-Six

After several dances, Edward and Ruby collapsed by Harry and Ron, gasping. Many of the songs the Wierd Sisters played were lively and quick.

"Where -- are Parvati and Padma?" Ruby asked with exhaustion, leaning against the table.

"Dancing," said Ron irritably, waving at the dance floor. Edward caught the barest glimpse of Parvati and Padma in the crowd, dancing with two Beauxbatons boys. Draco, Onyx, and Topaz were near them, twirling Daphne, Melissa, and Lavender across the dance floor.

"What about Hermione?" Edward asked breathlessly, glancing around.

"Dunno," said Ron icily.

Ruby glared at him and swatted his arm. He yelped.

"You're an idiot, Ronald Weasley!" she snapped. "If you're jealous, you should've asked her ages ago! Viktor just got to her first!"

"Jealous?" Ron snorted. "I'm not jealous-"

"OH PLEASE."

"Ruby," said Edward diplomatically, "would you like to go outside? It's a bit hot in here."

Hermione suddenly appeared from the dance floor, breathing heavily. She sat down across from them, fanning herself with a hand.

"Hi," said Harry and Ruby together.

"It's hot, isn't it?" Hermione said breathlessly. "Viktor's just gone to get us drinks. Do you want-"

"Viktor?" Ron asked witheringly. "Hasn't he asked you to call him Vicky yet?"

"Ron," Edward said in a quiet voice that somehow his foster brother heard, "Viktor is our friend, remember?"

"What's up with you?" Hermione frowned at him.

"He's jeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllluuuuuuuussss," Ruby sang.

"I am not!" Ron sputtered as Harry and Hermione laughed and Edward chuckled.

"Did he ask you while you were in the library?" Edward asked.

"Yes," Hermione blushed. "He -- he said he'd been coming up to the library every day to try and talk to me, but he hadn't been able to pluck up the courage."

"Poor sillyhead," Ruby snorted, "he could've just asked me to ask you."

"You're brave enough to ride a dragon," Harry grinned.

"That's Krum's story," said Ron.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ruby and Hermione asked at the same time, Ruby looking angry and Hermione looking bewildered.

"That's obvious," said Ron with a snort. "He's hoping you'll help him find out what his egg means! I suppose you've been putting your heads together during those cozy little library sessions-"

"How dare you accuse Hermione of helping Viktor instead of Harry and Ed!" Ruby snarled. "How could you say something like that, she wants Harry and Edward to win the tournament! They know that, don't you, Edward?"

"Of course," said Edward, in a voice full of warning. Ron silenced.

Viktor came up to the table at that moment, carrying two butterbeers. "Hello, Edvard, Ruby," he said, grinning. "Vould you like butterbeer, too?"

"I can't eat or drink anything for another five minutes," said Ruby. "If I eat or drink right after dancing, I get queasy. But thanks for the offer." She stood up abruptly. "Edward, let's go for a walk." She cast Ron a cold, angry look.

"All right," Edward responded, standing as well. For some reason, he was feeling nervous.

He and Ruby left the Great Hall and headed outside. It was a very chilly (until Edward cast a spell that warmed them both up) and dark except for the beautiful twinkling lights of tiny fairies. The glow made Ruby look even more beautiful. Edward was feeling even more awkward.