Chapter Twenty-Four

"Mr. Malfoy! Mr. Black! Will you kindly pay attention?"

Draco and Onyx jumped, dropping their fake wands to the floor. The rubber chicken squeaked weakly and the parrot coughed.

"Thank you," said Snape irritably. Edward cast them severe looks, and Ruby snickered quietly.

"Now that Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Black have been kind enough to act their age," growled Snape ("I was acting my age," Onyx muttered over the snickers from the Slytherins), "I have something to say to you all.

"The Yule Ball is approaching -- a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to... socialize with our guests." Snape wrinkled his nose. "Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above, although you may take a younger student if you wish."

Daphne Greengrass giggled and cast Draco a sappy look. Draco turned red, and Onyx, Ruby, and Ron snickered.

Snape ignored them. "Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight int he Great Hall. Now then-" He cast a sharp look around the class. "The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to... let our hair down." He sneered. "But that does not mean," he added softly, making the Gryffindors pale, "that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. If any of you decide that you are exempt from these rules, you will find yourself in a month's worth of detention."

The bell rang at that moment, and the Gryffindors instantly shot to their feet.

"Homework," Snape said sharply, making everyone freeze, "research those antidotes. I will be testing you on them on the last lesson of the term.

"Edward, Harry," he added, making Harry jump, "stay behind a moment."

"Yes, Professor," said Edward. He grabbed Ruby's arm before she could leave. "Would you go to the ball with me?"

"Of course, idiot," Ruby snorted, turning bright red. "I wouldn't go with anyone else." Edward let her go, pleased, and she left with a delighted Hermione and Draco, Ron, and Onyx, who were sniggering.

Harry grinned at him as Edward and he went up to Snape's desk. Snape looked amused and pleased as well.

"Now," said Snape, "the champions and their partners-"

"What partners?" Harry asked, startled.

Snape glanced at him irritably, then said, "Your partners for the Yule Ball, Harry." Harry blinked. "Your dancing partners."

Harry turned red. Edward smiled amusedly. "I can't dance," Harry said quickly.

"Everyone can dance," Snape said coolly. "You are expected to dance because the champions and their partners traditionally open the ball."

"I'm not dancing."

"Harry, you're dancing," Edward said sternly. "I'll teach you," he added. "And you only have to dance in the first song, correct?" He looked at Snape.

"Yes," said Snape. "Make sure you get a partner, Harry."

"Why are you calling me-" Harry began.

"Because it's far too confusing to call you 'Potter' when I call your brother by his first name," Snape interrupted, but Edward could tell he was growing affectionate of Harry as well. "Now get going to your next class."

-------------

Edward could tell that his friends, sans Ruby, were having trouble getting dates. He could see why; they were moving around in great, giggling packs, much greater packs than usual because everyone had signed on to stay for Christmas break.