Chapter 4: Reaction

I was completely frozen where I was sitting, my mouth hanging wide open. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Had he, Luke Hemmings, the straight as an arrow boy, just confessed that he was in love...with me?

I didn't know what to say or what to do. Nobody has ever told me that they were in love with me or anything gushy like that. Hell, I've never said anything like that to anyone! This is catching me completely off guard and I...I'm confused.

Confused.

My mind has never been so messed up like it is now. I'm flattered that Luke admitted his feelings for lame old me? I'm just not sure if I feel the same about him. I just never thought about it. When I did, I just got...

Confused.

"Did you hear me, Ash?" Luke asked softly, snapping me back into reality. He gave me a weird look and I know it was because I had the most terrified expression on my face. "Ashton, say something. Please."

I couldn't. I was lost for words. I was literally unable to speak. My speech was literally disabled at this point and time.

So I did what I do best.

Run and hide.

I got off the brick ledge and ran back into the house, grabbing my wallet from the counter and sprinted out the door. I know Luke was probably feeling like I now hated him and wanted nothing to do with him, but that isn't true. I just...I don't know how to handle these types of things. I don't think anyone really does.

----

I had no idea where I was. Somewhere in Sydney, but I wasn't sure where. I actually wasn't really even paying attention to my location; just the intervols of vibrations happening in my back pocket from my silenced iPhone. It was either Mikey or Calum. Luke probably locked himself in his room and hoped I would get eaten by a pack of wolves or something. I don't blame him if he thought that because I literally ran away from him like he was some insane escapee from the local asylum.

With the rumbling in my stomach, I decided to go into the little restaurant on the corner ahead of me. Maybe if I ordered coffee or something caffeinated, I would get my thoughts straightened out. There wasn't many people in there, just middle aged people getting off of the late shift or going to unwind.

I went to the counter, the cashier looking like she had had a hard and stressful day. Her hair was up in a ponytail, which looked as if it had loosened throughout the day, making her dyed brown hair wispy on her head. Her eyes had slight bags under them and the whites of them were tinted red. Her uniform was like she had just threw it on and didn't even care what she looked like. I gave her a smile, feeling as if it would make her day just a little brighter, receiving a fake one in return. What she looked like was what my mind looked like; amess.

"Evening, sir. What would you like tonight?" she asked, sounding like a recording.

"What do you suggest for a guy who just went through a messycouple of hours?" I asked, trying to make some small talk.

"Bottle of vodka," she snickered immediately.

"Sounds tempting. Got any?" I smirked.

The girl started shaking her head. "No, unfortunately not. Believe me, if there was, I would've downed that this morning."

"Well, I'll take the next best thing. A medium caramel and French vanilla cappuccino please," I told her.

She wrote it down and went back, beginning to make my hot drink. I just waited there, not really wanting to sit down. I dig out my phone, clicking it on to find 18 missed calls from Calum and 33 text messages from a combination of Mikey, Cal, and surprisingly, Luke.