Chapter 13: Lucifer

I was getting ready to walk over to McDonald's to get some lunch since Michael and Calum went to some other fast food joint together. They did invite me along, but I told them I didn't want to leave Luke alone, even though he hasn't talked to any of us since he's woken up. I was about to leave without him since he wasn't coming out of his damn bunk. He's been in there ever for the past two hours, the curtain pulled. He either had his earbuds in and couldn't hear our attempts at talking to him or he was just flat out ignoring us. It made me kind of sad that he wouldn't talk to me. We were dating now; we're supposed to be able to talk to each other when something was wrong, especially if one of us did something to make the other angry. 

I went back onto the bus to tell Luke that I was going to leave without him because I was starving, but when I entered, I saw him standing in the middle of the bunks with a jumper, athletic shorts, and a beanie on. How the hell could he have room to change in that little space?!

"Um, I was just going to tell you that I was going to start walking over to McDonald's, so if you want to come, I suggest that you hurry up," I told him quietly. 

"Okay, I'm coming," he answered, not sounding as angry as he did. I wasn't sure if his anger had to do with his strong hate for mornings or if Michael had asked that. 

I stepped back off of the bus, standing by the door awkwardly again. Within a matter of seconds, Luke was by my side and we began walking in the direction of the restaurant. The walk was rather silent and it was that awkward silence, at least to me. I was tempted to ask him why he was so crabby, but I didn't want to press any buttons and get him angry with me. So, instead, I reached down to where his hand was and tried entwining our fingers together, which he actually took loosely. I got a smile on my face, happy that he wasn't angry at me. 

"You look cute when you're all blushy," he suddenly said. 

"You just look cute," I blurted, covering my mouth right after I said it. Luke looked at me, shocked at my blunt comment. 

"Well, thank you," he responded.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I mean, I-I did, b-but-" I stammered. 

"Ash, don't apologize. You can tell me shit like that. You're my boyfriend, sweetcheeks. You just shocked me a little bit," he cut me off, smiling as he squeezed my hand a little bit. 

When we started to get closer to McDonald's, we let go of each other's hands, not wanting to get anyone suspicious if Lashton was real or not. We went to the counter, seeming to go unnoticed, and ordered our meal. I was going to wait until he got some food in his system before I started asking him what had set him off this morning. He might not get mad if he was happy scarfing down a Big Mac. 

I sat down across from him in the corner booth, sipping at my beverage. He looked at me, raising his eyebrow. "What's wrong, Ash?"

"I'm fine," I answered truthfully.

"Bull. Something's on your mind; I can tell," he pressed. As I was about to answer, the cashier called our number and Luke pushed out his chair. "When I get back, you better tell me."

There was something that he was upset about because he was kind of testy. Either he was upset or was trying to prevent me from cutting again. But still, he usually wasn't so pushy. It was like I was walking on a minefield, trying not to step in the wrong spot otherwise I would blow up. 

He set the tray back on the table, and sat down, passing me my Quarter Pounder and hot chips, making sure to steal one. "Now, are you going to tell me what's wrong with you or are you going to leave me worrying?" 

"Nothing's bothering me, Luke. Other than lying to Calum and Mikey, but that's going to have to happen for right now," I answered, seeing he wasn't satisfied one bit with my answer.

"You're hiding something from me," he pointed out, his tone hardening.

"I am not! I told you that I'm fine. It's you with the problem!" I defended as I set down my burger.

"Me? What did I do?" he asked, completely clueless.

"Why are you so testy towards us? This morning, you blew up at Michael and then you haven't talked to any of us until I came to get you, and now, you're being bossy and pushy! It's like walking on eggshells with you right now!" I told him angrily. "I could've ditched you and went with Cal and Mikey, but I'm your boyfriend, so I thought it would be the boyfriendy thing to do to wait and have lunch with you, but you're a complete and utter prick! I would've rather have third-wheeled it with them!" 

"Did you not hear Michael this morning? Before he woke us up, he was so deadset on us being a couple and was acting like he knows everything. And then when he asked me if we were, he just assumes that I'm going to prove him right and say yes," he vented, his voice rising. "As far as me ignoring you, have you ever thought that maybe I'm a little tired or don't feel well? That I want to get a little extra sleep before I go and play another show tonight?! So I may be a little pushy, but you don't need to penalize me for it and just blow up! Simply ask me what's wrong! That's what a normal person would do instead of calling me a prick!" 

"Don't you dare turn this around and act like I've done everything wrong," I said coldly. 

He threw his half-eaten burger into the cardboard container and got up, grabbing the red tray. "You know what, Ashton? If you would rather spend time with those wankers, then you can go find them and have lunch with them. I'm going back to the bus."

With that, he left, dumping his garbage into the trash bin and then left the building, making sure to flip me off as he walked past the window. I was alone, eating my sandwich by myself. I didn't really care actually. It was better than sitting with Mr. Moody. But at the same time, I feel terrible for being kind of a dick and blowing up at him. I should've just done what he said and asked him if he was okay instead of just yelling at him. 

I pulled out my phone, figuring I should probably call him and beg for him to come back before he got to the bus. It was probably unlikely that he would answer me, but it's worth a try. 

"Haven't you had enough?" he spat.

"Can you come back so we can talk civilly?" I asked.

"No. I'd hate for you to crush anymore eggshells."

The line went dead, making me feel even more shitty for what I said. There was no way I was going to be able to get through to Luke right now since he was so hard-headed. 

----

The concert was going to start in less than 45 minutes and I still haven't talked to Luke. I had gave him time to cool down and just hung out with Calum and Mikey. I didn't want Luke to go onstage angry, so I walked over to him. He just looked up at me from his phone, the look in his eyes blank. 

"L-luke, can we talk?" I asked quietly. He just looked at me and then looked around before pulling me into a small room where there wasn't any stage hands filtering about.

"Why? So, you can bitch at me some more?" he prompted.

"No, because I don't want you to be angry at me. I'm sorry I started yelling at you like that," I apologized. "You were right; I should've asked you what's wrong before blowing up in your face."

"Yeah, you should've. It's not really boyfriend-like to just go and scream at him," he agreed, his arms crossed. 

"I just...you were Lucifer this morning and I thought you were ashamed or something. I don't know, you just weren't my Lukey," I said, causing a small smile to form on his face from the name. 

"I'm sorry, Ash. It wasn't you and I certainly wouldn't be ashamed of you because I love you. It was what Michael said this morning and I just wasn't feeling all that great so it caused everything to get on my nerves, including you, and I'm sorry that I was Lucifer all day," he finally apologized. "I hope you'll forgive me?"

"Well, I hope you'll forgive me," I answered, smiling as I hugged him.

He pecked my lips. "Now let's go perform one hell of a show."

----

I know Mikey sounds like a dick in this chapter, but I DO NOT HATE HIM. I absolutely love Mikey!!!!! It fit with the story, so I unfortunately had to make Michael a jerk. :/

All the love. -B