Chapter 6: Wherever You Are

(Unedited)

I got out of the hot shower, feeling clean and refreshed. My hair was sticking to my forehead and hanging in my eyes, which usually I would've immediately brushed away, but this time, I didn't care. I wrapped the white towel tightly around my hips after I dried off and unlocked the door to get my clothes from Luke, hoping to dear God this didn't become weird.

The "cold" air hit me like a ton of bricks when I walked out of the humid and steamy bathroom. I walked into my room, finding Luke lounged on my bed with a band shirt, boxers, and pair of athletic shorts on his lap. He tried his best not to look any further down than my face while I tried my best not to notice the gorgeous boy sitting in front of me. He got up and handed me the clothing without a word and left the room so I could have privacy. 

I was so appreciative of what he was doing for me. He was helping me try and accept myself and not pressuring me to start a relationship with him. That was the biggest thing; he was patient. He was willing to wait until I was 110% ready to start my first intimate same-sex relationship and I was forever thankful for that. He knew whatever process I was going through and he wanted to help me through it. He was really a true friend.

Slowly, I slipped on the clothes he had picked out for me, seeing that he picked out the Blink 182 shirt I actually wanted to wear. I didn't bother doing anything to my hair besides shake the dampness and comb through it briefly. For the first time in a long time, I felt completely good about myself. Not partially, or half, but fully. Like I was hot shit, not the drummer that nobody gave two shits about. 

When I walked out into the living room, I saw Luke standing out on the back porch. He wasn't doing anything, just standing out there in his singlet and skinny jeans. As much as I wanted to go talk to him, I refrained. He deserved some alone time. I went into the kitchen, grabbing one of the chocolate chip cookies that was labeled "Calum's Cookies". He would yell and have a hissy fit at me later, but whatever. 

Luke was still standing in the same spot as he was when I had went into the kitchen, his arms now crossed. I weakly smiled to myself, mentally telling myself how lucky I was to have been recruited into this rollercoaster band. Quietly, I walked back to my bedroom and picked up the dusty guitar in the corner and my songbook from my unused messy desk. I was inspired to write a song for the next album about how thankful I was for Luke being there for me. I wasn't going to make it obvious that it was about him, so I would only know the true meaning behind it, but that's all I cared about. 

I started strumming a few chords, starting to make a rough tune to sing to. I was too focused trying to arrange the words in my head, that I didn't even notice the unexpected company standing in the doorway until they cleared their throat. I looked back towards the door and Luke was standing there with a big smile on his face.

"Haven't heard you play that thing in ages," he said. He walked in farther. "What are you working on?"

"Eh, nothing much. Just thought of an idea for a song," I shrugged.

"Can I hear what you have so far?" he wondered.

"Um, no?"

"Why? Want to be all confidential until we go record," he joked.

"Because I have nothing but a few strums," I answered. He nodded, taking his thumbs from his pockets and clapped them together as he plopped down next to me on the bed. "What are you doing?"

"Let's write a song," he suggested enthusiastically. I looked at him quizzically. "Come on. Tell me your idea."

"No, no, it's stupid really. We can come up with a different one," I begged, not wanting to tell him my cheesy idea. "I kind of like the piano work I did with the Pile of Cheese keek video. Maybe we can do something with that?"