Chapter 1 - Sam

Things were starting to look up for Sam. He had proved himself a worthy male to take his place among the ranks of his pack, and while that rank was low, he was only eighteen and had plenty of time to build himself up.

Even though he joined the ranks on a technicality, he was happy to finally be a contributing member of the Zhooniyaa Miskwi Pack (Silver Blood Pack). He was a patrol wolf now, usually paired up with his best friend, Cameron, since he was still a newbie on the border and had much to learn to bring his skills up to par. He couldn't wait to make his alpha, luna, family, and Cameron proud.

And Andrew.

He gazed at the small framed picture of him and his older brother taken nine years ago on his dresser. A scrawny beanpole next to the full-grown male dressed in a high school graduation gown with an arm wrapped around him and his diploma in the other hand. All smiles for the camera.

Despite the nine-year age gap, his big brother had been his rock. His salvation. Andrew loved him regardless of his flaws and defects.

He missed him so much. A day didn't go by without Andrew flashing briefly in his mind. For five years, he carried his memory and it was only during the last three that he could think of Andrew without crying. It was during the last three that Andrew's memory gave him encouragement. Gave him courage to live.

Thanks to the influence of his alpha and luna, Cameron came into his life when he was ready to give up. Cameron was in poor shape as well with Andrew's death—he was Andrew's best friend. He took Sam under his paw then. Looked out for Sam like Andrew had. Both of them filled the gaping holes in each other's hearts that Andrew's death brought.

Sam felt more indebted to Cameron for his friendship. Cameron didn't need to step up and befriend him like he did. It was their shared love and heartache for Andrew that bonded them in friendship. Sam felt he could tell Cameron everything.

Well, mostly everything.

Pulling on a loose black T-shirt and black shorts, he set out to the field for assignment.

It was nearly noon on a Saturday in mid-August. The sky was bright blue with only a few thin clouds in sight. It was proving to be another hot afternoon with sweat already building across his flesh with the harsh sun glaring down overhead.

He looked around at his fellow packmates preparing to start the day. A few females mixed in with the males, eying them with arms crossed over their chests as the males fist-bumped and jostled each other. No one glanced his way. The runt never caught anyone's attention if he wanted to survive.

Lowering his head, he kept his eyes to himself as they waited for Alpha to come. He couldn't help but feel small and insignificant next to the other males with muscles that rippled under flesh. He was trying, working hard to build muscle himself, but his body didn't seem to make it as easily as them. He was average in height for a werewolf male but much leaner in frame. He hoped his growth spurt was just later than others and he would fill out soon. Otherwise, he wasn't much of a male to look at. He feared finding his mate and disappointing her; that he wasn't male enough for her.

They didn't have to wait long before Alpha Noodin showed up. Everyone straightened their spines, lifted their heads, and pulled their shoulders back as they waited for a few stragglers to arrive and Alpha barked out their assignments.

With the threat of rogues along the border, more wolves were called to patrol and defend it. Assignments were a new method to structure the added wolves to the first line of defense. Normally, a wolf was assigned the same post for a week and changed it the next, but with double the number of wolves now guarding the border, trying to juggle everyone and still ensure they got some time off to rest, Alpha found it easier to assign posts before every shift.