Chapter 3 - Sam

Sam slammed his fist into Cameron's face, right between the eyes, as hard as he could.

"What the fuck!" Cameron yowled, stumbling back with blood gushing from his nose.

Sam stood in front of the door to the infirmary. His anger and pain rolled off him and coiled his hands into weapons of power. "That's for nearly killing my mate last night, asshole."

Cameron's father, Blair, was with him and growled, making Sam's head bow in submission to his elder.

"Dammit, Sam! We went over this already!"

"I know, but I'm still pissed!"

He knew he had no right to punch his best friend, but after bottling up his emotions all night, he needed an outlet. Cameron would understand and forgive him, he knew he would.

Lifting his eyes from his hands cupping his nose, Cameron regarded Sam for a moment. Pain still etched in his knotted brows. "Damn, you look terrible."

The energy holding Sam together slipped away and he hung his shoulders. "I couldn't sleep all night."

Cameron jerked away from his father's hands trying to examine his face closer and mumbled that he'd set it himself. Sam tried not to look on with longing at the bond Cameron and his father shared.

"Look, Sam, I'm sorry, okay? I'm really sorry that I had to hurt him like that. But he wouldn't stop. I had to stop him," Cameron insisted.

The pain that gripped Sam all night as his memories played over and over again curled around his heart and tightened. Bile from his empty gut rose up his throat. He tried to swallow it down as he blinked against the string in the back of his eyes. "I know." He held himself, the memory of his mate snarling at him instead of accepting him. "I know."

Warm arms wrapped around him, cracking open the floodgates for something he didn't deserve. He gripped tightly to his friend offering him comfort even though he had punched him in the face moments ago.

"I'm so scared. What do I do? What if he doesn't wake up? What if he doesn't want me?" His voice cracked as more flashes of memories struck him. His mate's curled lip. Pushing him away. "Why wouldn't he stop for me, Cam? Why?"

Arms loosened around him to rub his back before pulling away to grip him by the shoulders. "He'll wake up soon and he'll need you to take care of him. Show him that you're a worthy mate."

Nodding his head, he rubbed the moisture from his face with the back of his arm. He knew Cameron was right, but he still didn't believe the words he said. He hadn't been there. He didn't see the look of disgust on his mate's face and was shoved aside. He wasn't defective.

Cameron wrapped an arm around Sam's shoulder and coaxed him forward. "Come on, let's get you some tissues before I go see Dr. Waaban."

Sam followed him into the infirmary with his head down, avoiding any curious glances cast his way. He cleaned his face and blew his nose as Dr. Waaban worked on Cameron's broken nose and ear from last night's battle. His ear was half missing, ripped right off and Sam winced when Cameron winced at the doctor's poking and prodding. Cameron was given an ice pack and sent on his way while Sam returned to his mate's side in the back room.

***

As time wore on, Sam kept himself busy as he tended to his mate. There was still no sign of him waking up twenty-four hours after Cameron knocked him out. Sam dutifully cleaned his mate's body with a cloth again, moving his arms and legs and massaging his muscles like he was instructed to keep the blood circulating and prevent long-term muscle loss if he remained in a coma for an extended period of time.