Chapter 22 - Mik (Part 2)

Turning, he made his way back to the infirmary and to the backroom where Luna Aki was sitting in the plastic chair next to Sam and blowing her nose with a tissue.

She looked up at him and gave him a weak smile as she dabbed at her eyes. "Damn hormones. Don't mind me. I'm just so relieved to see he's doing better. I've been so worried and I think that added to my nausea."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Luna. I'm glad you're feeling better and can visit him more often now."

"If you don't mind, I want to come every day—health permitting of course."

"Of course."

He heard Noodin step up behind him and stand in the doorway. He stepped to the side away from Sam and Aki.

"Do you need anything?" she asked him.

"No, I'm okay."

"You sure? The nurses told me you've been taking good care of him and reading to him every day. Do you need some new books? Magazines?"

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

Heaving a sigh, she looked back at Sam before slowly dragging her eyes away to meet his. "The way I see it, you caused this problem... but you're also the only one who was able to save him. In my current state, I had two choices. Either I continue to place blame on you for what you did and let that eat away at my soul... or forgive you for saving him." She looked away and gazed upon Sam's face, his hand still in hers and she stroked his knuckles with her thumb. "Sam made the choice to jump. Not you. Your actions may have pushed him over the edge, but that was his choice. In the end, we would have lost him if it wasn't for you being with him. And now that I'm feeling better I can see for myself that you have made changes. You have been taking care of him." She started to tear up, her voice cracking. "And I'm just so glad to see that he's doing better."

"She says that now, but she wanted your throat after hearing the news," Noodin added from the doorway.

"And it's a damn good thing Dr. Waaban held me back. Sam would have died without you." She sniffled, pressing Sam's hand to her lips and then her cheek. "I'm sorry."

Mik wasn't sure if her apology was directed to him or Sam, but he brushed it off. He not only had to be there but he wanted to be there. Sam living was all that mattered to him now.

***

Another week passed. Alpha and Luna came almost daily to visit Sam. Mik assumed that the days they didn't come, Luna wasn't feeling well, and that was fine. He knew Sam wouldn't want her to stress herself out. Noodin was still curt with him but maintained pleasantries. He didn't push Mik into a corner or confront him again and Mik was appreciative of that. Luna Aki was kind and pleasant to him, even invited him to feel the pup kick in her belly while Noodin growled in warning to watch himself. Aki tried to look past the situation they were all in because of him. He bent his neck to her easily, especially after she told him about Sam's past with her. He felt better knowing that she had cared about him all these years. She was primarily responsible for pulling Sam out of his horrible family and bringing him into her home. He grew to respect her more, greeting her with a show of respect and asking her how she was as soon as she came over.

Sam was showing more improvement. His heartbeat started skipping when Mik held his hand or was bold enough to stroke his cheek.

"It's the matebond," he whispered. "You feel it, Sam?"

His own heart skipped in excitement but also anxiety. He spoke more animately with Sam, telling him of all the things he wanted to do once he woke up. How he couldn't wait to hunt together again. Cook food and eat together. Play in the snow. He was looking forward to everything—especially his eyes when he smiled.

"And my birthday is coming up." He couldn't help but smile as his thumb stroked Sam's knuckles. "I know you probably won't be up for much. Dr. Waaban said you will need physical therapy to build your strength back up. But I'm here for you. I'll help you through it. As long as you're awake and with me, that's good enough for me on my birthday."

He refused to think of Sam rejecting him. He would see that Mik had changed. He would listen and give him a chance because that was what Sam did.

Even though Mik feared the worst, he dared to hope for a miracle.

"What do you want to do when you wake up?" he asked. "What do you want to do in the New Year? Next summer? For your birthday?"

When was Sam's birthday?

His palm met his face. He should know that. Did Sam tell him? Or did he not listen... again?

"Why am I such a shithead?" he mumbled, rubbing his forehead and heaving a sigh. "I promise to pay attention better. I promise to be a better mate. I swear it."

He reached for Sam's hand again and brushed his thumb over the knuckles. Sam's heartbeat skipped as the sparks of the matebond fired off and started beating faster. He waited for it to slow back down to normal but it remained high. Looking up, he saw muscles twitching on Sam's face. His brows started to knit. His forehead creasing in a furrow.

"Sam?"

He shifted from the plastic chair pressed to the edge of the bed to sit next to Sam on the mattress, curling Sam's hand protectively against his chest. His own heart started racing as he glanced at the monitor and back at Sam's face as his long black eyelashes started fluttering.

"Sam? Can you hear me? It's me, Mik," he whispered, unable to speak louder. The lump forming in his throat wouldn't allow it.

A moan lifted from Sam's chest. He drew in a deep breath, his lungs expanding and contracting as he exhaled out. His lips mashed together before relaxing. Heavy eyelids struggled to open, blinking against the light shining down from the ceiling.

"M-Mik?" His name was hoarse and heavy on Sam's lips.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm here. I've been here this whole time."

Deep grooves etched across Sam's forehead. His lips puckered. "Go... Away."

----

Dedicated to HeartStone Packmate: ugotory - Join us on Facebook!

Copyright Jo Lee Hunt ( Joflower ) 2019