Chapter 12 - Mik (Part 1)

A vine of thorns coiled around Mik's heart at Sam's words. He looked down at the male sitting on the grass in the shade next to him. He saw the waves pulling back and crashing forward on the surf in Sam's blue eyes—a cool calm masking a bitter hard war within.

Mik's fingers twitched. He curled them together in a fist before unfurling them with an exhalation. He found his jaw clenched and relaxed the muscles. Reaching out, he put his hand on Sam's head, the way his grandparents did as a pup—the way he yearned for his father to do but instead was met with his fist.

He didn't know what to say to Sam's admittance. He couldn't imagine how painful that must have been.

Closing his eyes, Sam leaned into Mik's palm. A hint of pink surfaced on his cheeks under his long black lashes and black hair that fell in his eyes.

Warmth crept up Mik's palm to his wrist and elbow, tingling in his bloodstream and making the hairs on his arm rise as his stomach flip-flopped. Constriction across his chest and around his throat made it harder to breathe.

The urge to slaughter the ones who caused this male pain rose within him. His canines descended, wanting blood. Wanting to tear flesh and break bones until he was satisfied that no more harm would come to this male.

Nails extending, his fingers began to curl on Sam's skull as bloodlust surged forth, filling his mouth with saliva.

Sam's hand descended on his, cool to the touch. "It's okay. I'm okay now. I got out, remember?"

He tilted his head up and their hands slid down to Sam's cheek. Mik could feel the warmth underneath his touch as Sam's eyes met his. His pupils were slightly dilated under hooded blues as warmth rose over his flesh.

He looked at Mik the way Jez did, but it was more... tender.

Mik pulled away, squirming in his chair with the stirring of his crotch.

Dammit, this was getting fucked up. Why did he have to touch him? He shouldn't be aroused by a male. It wasn't right. It wasn't natural.

The wind blew against his hot flesh. He could smell the water before them and he wished he could get up and run in to cool off.

He still wanted to slaughter the ones who hurt him. Those assholes adopted him for their own selfish reasons.

"They don't deserve you," he grumbled.

And neither do I.

Sam sighed, looking out at the water with him. "That's what Cam always told me. Doesn't change what happened, but I have to keep looking forward and not behind me. They're my past and will only hold me back."

Mik nodded, tugging again at his shorts as he shifted position on his chair.

Silence fell for another ten minutes before Sam announced that he was thirsty. Getting up, he pushed Mik to the ice cream shop and ordered a pair of cones and sodas. They sat under an umbrella on the patio as people passed to and fro. Some cast curious glances their way while others were distracted by other things surrounding them.

Sam was right. He had adjusted to all the sounds and smells of the town, but he still didn't like the looks the humans cast his way and the way they dared to look him in the eyes. Who did they think they were making eye-contact with him? Did they really think they could meet him in a challenge? He may have a broken arm and leg, but he bet he could still tear their throat out with his teeth.

"Why are you still so hostile?" Sam asked, amused without shame.

"They keep challenging me. How the fuck am I supposed to calm down?"

"Duh, they're humans. Their culture around here dictates they look each other in the eye in interactions or in passing by—even if it's just acknowledgment. They're not challenging you. You're getting riled up for no reason."

"Really?" Mik didn't understand it.

"Yeah. And if you smile and tilt your head in a little nod, it's like saying hello. They'll do it back to you. Watch."

Mik's gaze shifted back and forth from Sam to the humans passing by. He saw a few make eye-contact with Sam, smile back at him and dip their heads.

After a few minutes, Sam turned his attention back to Mik and licked the dripping ice cream from the edge of his cone. "See? You try."

With a huff, Mik tried making eye contact, smiling, and nodding his head, only to get a few confused looks before Sam busted out laughing.

"Stop glaring at them! You look like a serial killer!"

Snarling, Mik bared his teeth at Sam, which only made him laugh harder. The sound grated on his nerves.

Without thinking, he smashed his ice cream in Sam's face.

Sam froze in mid-laugh as he took in what happened and cracked open his ice cream covered eyes as the smashed treat fell onto his lap.

Mik smirked as some humans stopped and stared, whispering among themselves, until Sam bust out in laughter again and smashed his own ice cream into Mik's face.

The icy-cold blast had him jumping in his seat as Sam fell back in his, laughing harder and wiping the mess from his face and lap.

"What the hell?" Mik demanded.

"What?" Sam's laughter turned to chuckles now. "You started it. Don't dish it if you can't take it."

Mik lunged for him, banging his damaged arm against the arm of the chair and almost toppling over altogether.

Still snickering, Sam helped to right him before he licked the ice cream on his cheek.

Growling, Mik pushed him away, despite the flutter within and the sparks that fired off. "Get off me. Don't do that."

A shy grin tugged on Sam's ice cream smeared lips. "Why not? It tastes better on you."

Heat rushed to Mik's face, battling against the burning cold of the ice cream.

Damn. When did this male get so bold?

He reached across the metal patio table for the napkin dispenser and struggled to pull out a handful of napkins to mop the mess off his face. "It's not right," he grumbled, looking around them at the whispering voices and lurking eyes, measuring them both up and down.

Even in the human world, males together as a couple was not natural.

Sam's face fell. All the joy and laughter that lit him up moments ago dissipated. "What's not right?"

"This." Mik gestured toward him and Sam with the napkins clenched in his fist.

Flinching, Sam curled into himself, hanging his head with his hair shielding his face. "But..."

He didn't finish as Mik mopped his face up as best as he could while Sam sat there, his hands and face smeared in chocolate—their clothing soiled and stained.

Sam stood a minute later and went into the ice cream shop without uttering another word. Mik felt guilty, but he couldn't help it.

They were both males. It wasn't natural for them to be together as mates. Sam had to realize this. Mik wasn't attracted to him as a male. It was the effects of the matebond pushing them together, making them feel things they shouldn't.

The sooner Sam realized this, the better.

----

Dedicated to HeartStone Packmate: creaturesofsiladi - Join us on Facebook!

Copyright Jo Lee Hunt ( Joflower ) 2019