Chapter 17 - Mik (Part 2)

Mik could smell Sam as soon as he pulled open the door to the combat training room. Anxiety and fear tainted his fragrant aroma, making Mik's stomach churn as his muscles stiffened.

He froze, his head buried in the curve of Nikki's neck. He had her pressed against the closed window, the drawn curtains bunching around them, parting more in the middle to illuminate Nikki's golden hair he had pulled free from her ponytail.

Since Monday morning, he casually revealed his intentions with her. He let his hands roam where they pleased across her sculpted body. Simple gestures at first related to hand-to-hand combat training—touching of hands, arms, elbows, and shoulders as they practiced position and form. He grew bolder as she accepted the placements of his hands and he moved down to hips and thighs, finishing with a gentle slap on her ass.

She squealed in surprise, but the flash in her eyes and dilation of her pupils spoke volumes. She smirked, rolling her shoulders back and attempting to resume their training as if he had no effect. The lingering scent of her arousal could not be as easily brushed off.

It didn't make him as hard as he used to get around females. Or as hard as Sam made him get these last few weeks.

He was fucking starving. Sam was smelling more and more appealing and Nikki less and less. She had all the right parts, but Sam just had to look at him from across the cabin and Mik had to take a cold-as-fuck shower.

The first time Mik kissed Nikki, it was disappointing. Disappointment was an understatement.

It didn't get much better on Tuesday either. He had all the right moves. Pinned her down and groped her while kissing her, but his cock shriveled up more. She smelled amazing and ready to be fucked, but he pulled away and called it a day, hopping in the shower and silently screaming in frustration.

That morning, he thought if he teased the curve of her neck where mates placed their mark, he'd feel something in his shorts... Nothing. The more he seemed to pursue her, the more his body rejected her.

But Sam caught him.

Sam caught him red-handed, face in her neck, her legs wrapped around his hips.

Unforgivable.

Sam ran out as Mik pried himself away from Nikki and was met with a snarl and a fist in the face.

Instinct drove him to blindly swing back as pain blasted through his skull. Instead, he was met with another blow to his gut, knocking the wind out of him as he fell to his knees.

"What the fuck, Nikki!" he heard over the ringing of his head and wheezing of his lungs. "You're supposed to bait him! Not fuck him with your clothes on!"

"Can you blame me? I haven't fucked in months! Females have needs too! Besides, he wasn't getting anything up! He's all talk and tongue but can't get a stiffy—"

"Dammit! I don't need to know that!"

Mik was starting to come around over their bickering, still gasping and wheezing as he wiped the blood from his broken nose. "The fuck? She was baiting me?"

The male—Mik could only assume as Sam's best friend, Cameron, as he recognized his scent—snarled at him. "No surprise you took a fancy to our strongest female warrior—and the best baiter we have. Alpha was right about you. You're trash. Bottom of the barrel scum."

He grabbed Mik by the throat, his fingers tightening around and the tips of his nails biting into the tender flesh. His raging amber eyes glared into Mik's. "You don't deserve him," he whispered. "And if it weren't for the fact that you're his mate, I would have killed you on the spot. You're pathetic. Pitiful. Disgusting. You don't deserve to live."