Chapter 32 - Mik (Part 1)

Darkness engulfed Mik as he slammed the door of the cabin behind him. The icy cold air slapped him across the face. Wrapping his arms around himself, he leaned his back against the cold wooden surface and slid slowly down to sit on the top step.

Fucking Noodin was right.

He would have continued down the same path had nothing happened to Sam. For weeks he led him on and it was wrong. How much longer would it have lasted before he realized everything he needed was sitting right there, waiting for him to see him and accept him for who he was? Why did it take seeing Sam fall from a cliff to realize how precious his life was to him?

It wasn't long before the door opened. Mik snarled as he pulled away from the stairs. "Fuck off!"

"I've been kicked out," Noodin stated. He shook his head. "I saw that coming."

"Can't say I blame him," Mik grumbled, "but at least he knows the truth now."

"Indeed. He'll forgive us. As you've said, it's what he does. He just needs some time."

Mik huffed. "He'll forgive you, but I'm not so sure he'll forgive me."

"He will. It will take him time." Noodin pulled his coat on and rubbed his hands together, blowing on them before shoving them in his pockets. "I owe you an apology. You were right. I should have approached the situation differently. I shouldn't have let it go as far as it did and put a stop to it sooner. I should have approached Sam differently. As for how to slap some sense into you... I still don't know an alternative manner to what I should have done."

"I couldn't tell you either. I don't know whether I would have ever come around..." Mik swallowed, hanging his head and wrapping his arms around him, pulling the fabric of his sweater tighter around him in an effort to lock in more of his core body heat. "I don't see how he can ever forgive me when I can't even forgive myself."

"Sometimes the only way to forgive yourself is to first be forgiven by the one you wronged. Give yourself time for that."

"I still don't deserve him," Mik mumbled.

The door opened again and Cameron stepped out in his coat and boots. They looked to him and he scowled at them both.

"I'm going home. Luna said to tell you both to go back to Alpha's place. She's spending the night with him here. He doesn't want to see or speak to either of you right now. Maybe in the morning. He needs some time to think. Can't say I blame him. I'm disgusted too. Night."

Cameron trod past them towards his house, his head down and hands in his pockets.

Mik grunted. "I'm not going anywhere."

Shifting into his wolf, he allowed the warmth of his fur coat to comfort him against the blistering cold before settling down on the ground next to the steps. Like the old days as a rogue, he would live within his fur until Sam was ready to face him again. He wasn't leaving the cabin.

"He'll come around," Noodin repeated before he too left to return to his house.

***

The night was long and cold. Mik's stomach growled but he refused to get up and hunt. He left only a few times to urinate and defecate, but he never went far.

In the morning, Luna stepped out and Mik lifted his head from his paws and whined. His tail thumped lightly next to him three times as he waited for her to speak.

She sighed and shook her head. "Not yet. I'm going to the pack house to grab some food and supplies. I'll be back soon."

He whimpered and set his head back down on his paws as she marched away.