Chapter 28 - Sam (Part 2)

Sam spent the night brainstorming ideas for Mik's surprise birthday party—for it would have to be a surprise. There was no way Mik would agree to it otherwise. Sam wanted him to feel special on his birthday, as everyone should. Just because Mik had a rough upbringing was no excuse why he couldn't celebrate his birthday.

Neither he nor Mik were tired, having slept comfortably most of the day after releasing their emotions and Sam's secret. The stress they had put themselves under the last couple of weeks must have caught up to them. They spent a quiet night around the woodburning stove. Mik told him in detail what happened while Sam had been sleeping. It was still hard for Sam to believe the changes in Mik, but Mik didn't complain about his physical therapy or changing his diapers and bathing him. Mik even set a timer on Sam's phone so that they never missed a session. He dropped whatever he was doing, like cleaning the dishes, and made sure he moved Sam's limbs.

If that wasn't dedication to Sam and his recovery, he didn't know what was.

They took turns reading a book together and right before dawn, they cuddled and took a nap.

Before falling asleep, Sam asked, "If you could have one thing for your birthday, what would it be?"

"You, Sam," he rumbled, half asleep. "Just you."

In the morning, once Sam was sure everyone was awake, he put his plan into action.

While Mik was outside clearing the snow from the steps and path, Sam used all his strength to reach out for his phone on the bedside table next to his head and, using voice command, called Luna. Together they quickly formed a birthday party for Mik on the twenty-sixth. He was giddy with excitement after hanging up and he only had a few minutes to get his emotions under control before Mik returned. It was hard to hide from Mik and when he inquired, Sam tried to pretend that he was excited about the snow and said he couldn't wait to shift.

As the next two days passed and the twenty-sixth rolled around, Dr. Waaban called to let Sam know that everything was set up and that he'd send Cameron over shortly to get them. They made it sound like they were taking Sam's physical therapy to the next level, using equipment found at the pack house. Mik nodded his head in understanding and didn't question it despite the snow that had accumulated from the storm. It was waist-deep so Mik dug a path twenty feet from the cabin before it ended.

Cameron arrived in wolf-form, pulling a long sled to load Sam and his wheelchair on. He greeted Sam with a lick to his face before Mik scowled and pulled Sam's scarf over his nose.

Once Sam was securely fastened to the sled with his wheelchair and a duffel bag of clothes for Mik to change into, Mik shifted into his wolf and trotted behind the sled that Cameron pulled through the snow.

When they had arrived, Mik was confused as to why they went to the opposite end of the pack house, away from the infirmary.

Alpha opened the door for them to enter and grabbed Mik's bag so he and Cameron could shift and change inside the warm building. "There's not enough room for the equipment in the infirmary. We keep it in another room," Sam heard Alpha tell him before slipping out to bring Sam in.

"Is it all set?" Sam asked, his excitement bubbling over.

Alpha gave him a broad smile. "Yes. Everyone is up there waiting."

He picked Sam up into his arms and carried him in while Cameron held the door open for them. Mik was dressed and fumbling with his shoelaces so Cameron ran out to bring the wheelchair in. Setting the chair inside, Cameron told Mik to take it and he'd put the sled away.

Grabbing the folded wheelchair, Mik followed Alpha up the stairs. At the top, Alpha told him to set the chair down and he helped take off Sam's winter clothing and buckle him in place.