Chapter 25 - Sam (Part 1)

Sam didn't want to give Mik another chance, but a small part of him did. He knew that part was the matebond and fighting against that hurt more than he could describe. The heartache and need to be with Mik terrified him. He didn't want to try again. He had given Mik everything and it wasn't enough. How much more did he have to give?

He could see the regret in Mik's eyes. He had never looked at Sam that way before and it pushed him over the edge. He came to the cells not knowing what the outcome would be, only that he knew they needed to talk. He was hoping Mik would lash out in anger and Sam would be justified in locking him behind bars and moving on with his life, never to have to see him again, but this...

This was beyond his expectations.

He tried not to let his emotions get the best of him. He tried not to break down. He didn't want to cry anymore over Mik but he couldn't help it. He'd never seen Mik be so open with his thoughts and feelings and, more than anything, that was what he longed for months ago.

But he cheated! He used you! He'll never want you the way he'll want a female!

His mind swirled with all the reasons why he shouldn't give Mik a chance. Mostly, he was tired. Tired of trying. Tired of being the only one who cared. And he was tired of sitting around all day and not being able to do anything, but at the same time... he felt too tired to do anything too. He knew part of that was because he was recovering from his fall, but he knew the other part was the fact that everything seemed hopeless now. What was the point in living if the one made for him couldn't love him for who he was?

He knew he was depressed. He knew what it felt like the first time he was depressed. This time, he saw no hope, no light at the end of the tunnel. The hope of a mate was one reason that helped him keep going and now that was stripped away.

He stared at Mik from his wheelchair next to the couch as he slipped a hoodie over his head. He had just come out of the shower—the stink of living in the cell for a week washed away and replaced with the scent that tugged on Sam's nerves. Sensual and earthy with a hint of soapiness still lingering on the surface. He watched the slim muscles of his back flex under tight skin, his form a lot leaner than before. Scars etched across every inch of his back in long deep gashes that made his stomach clench. Those hadn't been there before.

As if sensing he was being watched, Mik turned and his eyes bore into Sam—but Sam quickly looked away. He didn't say anything. The thundering of his heart spoke loud enough for Mik to hear twenty feet away.

"I'm starving. How about you?"

Even though he hadn't eaten all day, Sam said, "No." Anxiety gnawed relentlessly at his stomach.

Mik calmly approached him, while Sam's heart rate kicked up even faster. Sweat gathered on his palms and he curled them into fists to try and clamp in the smell. He looked away, not meeting Mik's gaze as he stopped in front of him.

"I'm going to go to the pack house and grab something to eat. You sure you don't want anything?"

"I'm fine."

"I'll be back as soon as I can. I'll go hunting later and make something nice for dinner. Any preferences?"

"No."

He could tell that Mik was trying, but he couldn't get past the memory of his face buried in the crook of that female's neck. It haunted him. He had so many questions that he was afraid to ask. How long had that been going on? Did he kiss her? Touch her under her clothes? Did they have sex?

But he couldn't ask. Every time his thoughts drifted to those questions and conjured up images, he wanted to throw up.

Even though Mik told him why he did it, Sam still couldn't help asking himself over and over again. Why? Why? Why? Why couldn't he accept him for who he was? Why was he created for him? Why would the Moon Goddess do this if She knew his nature?