Chapter 37 - Sam (Part 1)

"What?" Mik demanded from the bathroom doorway next to Dr. Waaban as Sam's eyes widened.

Heat? How?

Mik voiced Sam's thoughts—more crudely. "How the fuck is that possible?"

Dr. Waaban, holding his nose, turned to Sam with dilating eyes. "Did you tell him about Klinefelter's?"

"Yeah, I told him."

Dr. Waaban clutched his head with his other hand. His brows knotted together in pain as he closed his eyes. "I don't know what exactly is going on, but my guess is that it's the double X-chromosomes you have. They've triggered this."

"The female chromosomes?" Mik clarified.

"Yes. Even without the female sex organs, the sex hormones still hold power over Sam's body. That's why he gets testosterone injections every week."

"Give him one then!" Mik commanded.

"I already gave him one before his exam today!"

Mik groaned, his fingers pulling on his hair.

"I always give him the injections before his exams. They help him to focus," the doctor explained. "I noticed this morning that he smelled more excited than usual, but chalked it up to it being Valentine's Day and he was hopeful for..." Dr. Waaban trailed off and cleared his throat. "Anyway, his scent returned to normal after that and he wrote his exam. It started to come back during his physical exam and again, I chalked it up to him being excited. I could give him another injection but I assume the female hormones will just over-power it again in a few hours."

"Give it to him," Mik demanded, urgency in his voice. "I can't..." Mik glanced back at Sam, swallowed, and looked away as crimson shaded the back of his neck. "I won't do this until he's stronger."

"You don't have a choice!" the doctor snapped. Sam could smell his arousal leaking from his pores as Mik began to growl. "I only have a month's supply left! That's four doses! If he burns through them in five to six hours, he'll only have enough for the next twenty-four hours—if that!"

"And how fucking long do heats last?" Aggression was pouring from Mik as he shifted to block the doorway from the doctor. Posturing his claim before the older male.

"It depends. They are different each time. They could last anywhere from twenty-four hours to seventy-two hours. One to three days. It depends on when the egg gets released and fertilized. Sam has no uterus, no ovaries, no eggs. So I have no idea how long this will last."

"Are you sure he has no female organs?"

Dr. Waaban snarled, baring his canines. "Yes, I'm sure! Do you want to see the ultrasounds as well? I know Sam inside and out! I have studied all there is to know about Klinefelter's. He's the only wolf I know with it and I searched long and hard in other packs for another with his condition to find more information and answers and found none. All I have are human studies to go by and none of them have answers for his wolf-side. It's the female hormones. It has to be."

"Fine then, give him the fucking injection!" Mik snarled.

"You give it!" the doctor snapped.

Mik lunged and grabbed the older male by the throat and slammed him against the wall out of Sam's sight. Sam yelped from the tub and could hear them snarling at each other.

"I can't breathe! I'm an unmated male, Mik," Dr. Waaban told him. "I can't control myself around him. Not at this stage in his heat. You have to do this. I'll show you how but I can't go near him. I can't do it."