Chapter 33 - Sam (Part 1)

Determination gripped Sam. If Heather could push out three wriggling pups, then he could get his strength back and get back into the infirmary. It helped that Mik, Alpha, Luna, Cameron, Eloise, Heather, and Dr. Waaban believed in him. He wanted more out of life and after sitting around all day for more than a month, he was bored out of his mind. No wonder Mik was so testy when his arm and leg were broken. Being unable to move and be independent was maddening!

It was already late in the evening by the time he and Mik returned home from the infirmary.

"Tomorrow," Sam announced during their dinner, "I'm going to start first thing in the morning. First, I'll go over my notes and take a test at the end of the week to see which areas I need to brush up on the most. As soon as I clear all of my past work, then I can ask Dr. Waaban to start giving me more material. I won't be able to do any of the hands-on training for a while but that's no excuse to stop me from studying."

Mik nodded. "Whatever you need, I'll get it for you."

Sam could feed himself now but still needed help cutting his steak into bite-sized pieces. Mik didn't complain about helping him and even gave him his first bite before Sam could pick up his own fork.

As much as Mik's words hurt and pissed him off weeks ago, Sam could see that Mik was different. He wasn't the same male and his focus and attention had been solely on Sam ever since his fall—helping him and taking care of his every need as best as he could. There were a few times in the last few weeks where they'd argue and get into fights but Mik always removed himself when his anger boiled over and he looked ready to punch something or throw something. He'd go out for a run and come back calmer. Still reluctant to talk about the issue, but he'd take a deep breath, squeeze his eyes shut, and force it out of himself.

There was still a level of tension between them since the confrontation with Noodin. They hadn't shared the bed since and Sam missed being held. He was afraid to bring it up and Mik seemed to have placed himself in some kind of purgatory that held him back from getting physically close to him again. Holding hands together in the waiting room had been the first physical act of intimacy since the truth bombs had erupted. It felt good. Why was there so much distance between them?

"I only have a few weeks left to get ready for Luna's pup. I am not missing that!"

"Whatever you need, I'll get it for you," Mik repeated.

"I need a hug. And maybe a kiss?" He could feel his face heating up with the suggestion. Butterflies fluttered within as he raked his teeth over his bottom lip. He missed the way Mik kissed him. The fireworks that exploded with every caress of his lips...

It's been too long...

Mik stared at him, blinking for a moment as his words sank in. Sam could hear Mik's heartbeat pick up before a hint of color bloomed on his cheeks.

Getting up from the couch and setting his plate down next to him, Mik scooped Sam up from his chair and sat him on his lap. They sank into the couch as Mik rubbed his nose in the crook of Sam's neck, his arms wrapped around him. There was an intensity in his grip, a sort of tremble that wavered within his chest in the barest of growls.

Sam's stomach tumbled with Mik's primal tone of possessive affection. His balls clenched and he could feel the surge of blood rushing through his veins down to the very tip of his little head.

Mik inhaled deeply with a groan. Hot air fanned against Sam's neck, erecting the hairs on his nape.

"Does this mean you've forgiven me?" Mik asked, his tone deep with a sexy rumble on the edge.

Another surge of heat rushed to Sam's face. "Um..."

At his hesitation, a growl vibrated Mik's chest against Sam's back. "Fuck it. I'll take what I can get."

He turned Sam on his knee, angling him more to face him and captured his lips.

Fireworks. All those beautiful—powerful—sensations exploded within him. Butterflies took flight, batting their wings fiercely against each other and the walls of his stomach. Sam moaned as a sound of pleasure rumbled from Mik's chest. Mik's fingers brushed through Sam's hair to the back of his head and pulled him closer, dipping his tongue between Sam's parted lips and drawing forth moans.

Damn, his mate could kiss!

"Dammit, I missed you," Mik groaned, kissing him harder until Sam could barely breathe.

He could feel his body going limp, light as a feather, yet safe in his mate's strong arms. Hands that fed him every day, brushed his teeth, clothed him, showered him, moved his body from one piece of furniture to the next, and helped him get strong turned his limbs to mush as they held him and cradled his head. Hands that held safety and tenderness Sam hadn't felt before and couldn't believe was possible from this male—this male of violence, war, and pain.

Who was this male? Sam felt like he was just scratching the surface of him as he grasped the collar of Mik's shirt weakly, holding on as if holding on for life. Tongues twining. Lips locking. Unabated hunger feasted on the lustful physical pleasures of starved appetites that food could no longer satisfy. Gorging themselves midst the gasping, groaning, moaning of their desires until their lungs begged for air.

They pulled apart, breathing heavily, their hearts pounding thunderously in their chests.

"Are you serious?" Sam asked, still gasping as Mik buried his face in Sam's neck. His beard tickling the now sensitive flesh.

"I don't joke around. I missed you. I missed this. I thought... I was giving you the space you needed."

"Really?"

"And I want to put a pup in your arms."

"What?" Shock rendered Sam useless, like the jellyfish he already felt after that kiss. Still dazed, he couldn't wrap his head around his thoughts and feelings and the sensations Mik gave him—and continued to give him as he nuzzled his neck.

"How? I mean... we're..."

"We can adopt, right?"

Sam continued to gape at him, his mouth opening and closing like a fish's. He was serious!

"Y-Yeah, sure. Why not?"

Mik pressed his lips to Sam's collarbone before pulling away and grabbing his plate. Lifting a bite of meat to Sam's lips, he said, "Then it's settled. We'll adopt. But first, you need to finish your dinner, build your strength back up, finish your training, and become a nurse."

Mik slept beside Sam in bed that night—and every night thereafter. Holding him close and nuzzling his nose into his neck. And when the sun rose, Mik woke up with morning wood poking into Sam's side and his canines descended. As much as Sam wanted to cuddle first thing in the morning he snickered at Mik running into the bathroom and taking a cold shower.

How much longer would it take for them to mate and mark each other? What was Mik waiting for when his body clearly wanted it?

Or was it the matebond driving him? Was he still hung up about Sam's male organs and lack of female ones despite the double X-chromosome?

He was afraid to ask. Afraid to find out the truth. He didn't know if he could handle it.

----

Dedicated to HeartStone Packmate: blisath1211 - Join us on Facebook!

Copyright Jo Lee Hunt ( Joflower ) 2020