5. Emperor Du Liang

"Uncle is disappointed."

Those three words blew Yin Hua Lei's mind. Instinctively, she knew that it wasn't about the fainting matter. She hung her head, not daring to look up.

All these years, Xia Chun didn't utter a word about the evil things she did behind everyone's backs. The amounts of lives destroyed either by her own two hands or by paid ones, she couldn't count.

It wasn't only women she dealt with. She also silenced those who uttered slander against ninth prince Xia Yu Heng, people who planned to harm him, even those that the prince himself didn't know.

Yin Hua Lei protected him like a wolf would protect her own pup. But she never dared tell this to the prince. What would his reaction be when he learned of her viciousness? That she wasn't the unfeeling, unwanting goddess everyone pictured her out to be?

But the prince not knowing didn't mean the Emperor was unaware.

After a long silence, she finally spoke up.

"Hua Lei has no excuse except..." She raised her head, her eyes clear despite tears. "Being a fool in love."

The Emperor stared at her, not with the eyes of a ruler to his subject. It was with the eyes of a chiding father to his child.

"Losing sight of the bigger picture, is fool the right word? You say it's because of love but is it really? This old man only saw you striking all the enemies while the other yatou built a base in my son's heart."

Yin Hua Lei looked back at all the things she did and the Emperor was unexpectedly right.

"All the years of cultivating you, was it for naught-"

"No! Hua Lei learned her lesson, won't make the same mistake again. I am still Uncle's greatest weapon. Please allow me to right my wrongs."

Yin Hua Lei's voice was filled with resolution and upon hearing the word please, one would know that she rarely used it.

Xia Chun seemed to think before slowly nodding.

"En... Uncle isn't disappointed because you fell in love. It's the rash actions you did because of it. Now, do you know why you lost thoroughly against the Bai girl?"

Yin Hua Lei sniffled. She still loathed Bai Chen Rong and never liked hearing her name. But the reason for her loss, should she say that it was because she was the villainess and Chen Rong was the heroine? Would she believe that this uncle would wrap her up and lock her away if she did?

"Ha! You still don't know despite everything?" Xia Chun flicked the young lady's forehead. The bearing of the dragon all but gone.

"As this old man sees it, Bai yatou shows her true skin to all the people she meets. Daring, bold and unrestrained. Who she is outdoors is who she is indoors. That kind of charm, few in your circle have it."

The Emperor had a profound look in his eyes.

If his ministers saw him now, they would be shell-shocked. Where was the easygoing ruler who always depended on others to decide for him? Was this the same mediocre sovereign?

Yin Hua Lei's phoenix eyes flashed and wanted to say something but Xia Chun blocked her words.

"Uncle understands, no need explaining. Both of us know our circumstances. My family's niece also suffered."

The young lady wanted to snap at this Emperor. It looked like he was enjoying speaking like a common citizen.

"Uncle Chun really likes this role." With this, the depressing topic was lifted.