21. Scarlet Numbness

Trigger Warning: This chapter has elements of self-harm. Please skip after the '•••' part if you don't want to read it.

It wasn't because of something dramatic like a huge bout of sadness overcoming her entire being.

It was actually just nothing. The kind of numbness that seeped to one's bones.

As though if one cut Yin Hua Lei open, only air would flow out. That's what it felt like.

She felt a sting on her eyes and realized that a crack from the window let the first sunshine in.

The canopy wasn't drawn so the light went straight to her who was lying down absentmindedly.

Curiously, she stared at the beam of light and the air particles flying about.

She just took it to herself that her greatest mission in life was to steer away from the plot so her family wouldn't die.

I guess... That's accomplished already.

Knowing that Bai Chen Rong and Xia Yu Heng were out there enjoying their married life, the two wouldn't bother with the Yin clan as long as Yin Hua Lei didn't cause troubles.

Her daughter would probably be happy living with her father. Even though Yin Hua Lei had misgivings with Xia Lian Bei's personality, she didn't doubt his adoration towards the child.

She slightly worried that Tiandi would be bullied by the future wangfei and the concubines, but something told her that the one who would be bullied was them.

Her Uncle Emperor, on the other hand was more cunning than the devil so nothing was to be worried about him.

Had everything went according to the plot, she would have never reconciled with her family, have deeper relationship with the Emperor, nor met her daughter again in this lifetime.

Did Tiandi die too when the third prince ambushed Feng wang in the original storyline?

... Who knows?

All Yin Hua Lei did now was attending to the numbness that gnawed her heart everyday.

It would be better to stop this nonsense, after all.

Under her jade pillow was a long red hairpin with a white plum blossom on one side.

Well it only looked like a hairpin but was actually a deadly weapon personally made by Yin Hua Lei.

Looking at it in the dimness of the room, the scarlet still attracted one's eyes.

As always, Yin Hua Lei was slow to think over things but once her mind was made up, no one would stop her.

Slash!

She was merciless even to herself. The dark red liquid immediately blossomed on her wrist, dying her hands and the sheets underneath.

•••

But just right then, her most loyal people felt their mistress was quieter than usual today.

All of a sudden, three shadows kicked the doors open.

Yin Hua Lei just laid there looking blankly. She gave up caring at all. It didn't matter even if she was caught. She'd already done it.

Without time to lament, Zhao Gang, Xin Tao and Xin Ling sprang into action. The three didn't need to talk as their years of following Yin Hua Lei formed a deep-seethed bond which didn't require words.

Zhao Gang fled from the room to inform and fetch the masters. His hoarse voice barked orders one after another as different hidden guards were sent to the direction of Duke Yin fu.