26. Taken for Granted

That night, while Yin Hua Lei was fast asleep and slightly feverish, Prince Feng had a heart to heart talk with his shifu, Yin Fang Qi.

Who knew what they talked about but Xia Lian Bei only walked out of the vacant courtyard before the sun rose.

His clothes were badly disheveled while he was clutching his ribs and wincing in pain. There was also a faint trace of blood dribbling down from his pale lips as well as on his bone-white knuckles.

Moments later, Lord Yin exited in the same fashion. His robes were still in order but only he knew that he seemed to have internal injuries.

This was the first time Shai saw his master look so pitiful. He didn't know whether to sympathize with him or say this was heavenly retribution, reaping what one sowed.

Prince Feng was used to weaving tragedies for other people. It seemed to Shai that this was karma.

"Master... This one sees that the best solution is to declare a marriage proposal to the Yin family. Surely, both sides will agree?" It's not like Princess Gao Le can still marry someone else.

Shai said in all seriousness once they were back at the wangfu. He omitted the last part because he still wanted his life.

But Xia Lian Bei suddenly glared at his right hand man while he treated his own wounds.

"Fool! Did ben wang raise you to be so stupid?! During your brief encounters with that girl, have you seriously been fooled by her magnanimous and ennobled demeanor?"

The prince sneered at him.

Shai didn't know what to reply. Wasn't Gao Le princess the capital's revered fairy? Wasn't that why his master also liked Gao Le princess?

"Tsk. Seriously, you're reliable on the battlefield but still a baby chick when it comes to seeing people through. All the years of scheming in Northern Chu got you nowhere. If ben wang forced Yin Hua Lei to marry... This prince will probably die without even knowing the hows and whys!"

Shai's brows rose in disbelief.

"Master, your sense of humor is nonexistent so please refrain from joking in the future."

How could a simple woman who was pampered all her life be able to scheme against his master who had been dealing with malicious people ever since he could remember?

Xia Lian Bei was seriously pissed off now. That damn girl really hid herself well. In the capital, who would believe him if he said Gao Le princess was the most pernicious woman he met?

None.

He doubted that even Xia Yu Heng, that ninth nephew knew just how much of a schemer was the woman he dumped.

See? Even his people wouldn't believe him!

"Bah! Don't believe this prince if you don't want. Just be careful not to attract that person's ire. Ben wang had the guts to anger her before because I have Bao Bei. She wouldn't do anything to her daughter's father. But now..."

It was as though Xia Lian Bei had been struck with lightning.

"Will that damn girl target this prince to get Bao Bei? But ben wang still has Imperial Older Brother... She won't make a move as long as that old guy is alive, right?"

He murmured to himself in his paranoia. Shai only felt his face twitching.

Did his master suffer a concussion?

Prince Feng could hack countless heads in the battlefield but he was melting his brain just to predict if the mother of his daughter would assassinate him.