6. Little Trap

Yin Hua Lei's age had been a taboo topic for her.

She waited and waited for the ninth prince and refused other proposals so now she was already twenty.

Usually, nobility treated this age to be spinsters in the making but being a Yin, this Hua Lei had a special identity.

Her age didn't matter because a marriage tie with her family was equivalent to a jackpot. A prize of being closer to the Emperor.

"This lowly official thinks that imperial daughter's spring will definitely come. Who doesn't know that all the bachelors in and outside the imperial city admires imperial daughter Gao Le?" Minister Ling tactfully answered to fill the awkward air.

"En, doesn't wine need a long time of fermenting for it to have the best taste? This humble official has the same thoughts as Minister Ling." Minister Bai carefully uttered and didn't dare to look at Yin Hua Lei.

This Bai Ping Bo is the father of both Bai Chan Yi and Chen Rong. Of course, he already knew that Yin Hua Lei was dissatisfied with his daughter Chan Yi and had a vague idea of her enmity with Chen Rong. He didn't want to further provoke her.

If he knew that this Yin Hua Lei hadn't left the palace, he wouldn't have come here to curry favor with the Emperor.

"If Minister Bai really thinks so, then this imperial daughter is at ease. After all, Minister Bai raised such a good daughter who is now betrothed to ninth brother. Congratulations needed to be met."

Before Bai Ping Bo was able to kneel and say 'This official doesn't dare,' Xin Tao was already there holding his elbows effectively stopping him.

"Minister Bai shouldn't be too polite. You will soon be a relative to Uncle Emperor, thus being this imperial daughter's elder. What kind of elder kneels to his junior?"

Her seemingly careless words made cold sweat run down Bai Ping Bo's back. Outside the palace, he could put on airs in social circles but how could he dare claim to be in-laws with the Emperor in front of his face?

Wouldn't that be seeking death?

"Imperial daughter's jokes, this humble official cannot take. Rong'er is able to marry the prince, that's her good fortune. This father is happy for her."

Yin Hua Lei had to applaud Bai Ping Bo for deflecting her attacks but-

"Indeed it is Miss Bai's blessings and completely unrelated to Minister Bai. After all, a married daughter is like spilled water. She will carry the surname Xia along with her children and create a new home in Chang palace."

The people inside the hall all understood the hidden meaning. Bai Ping Bo made a trap for himself. Yin Hua Lei meant that Chen Rong would be a member of the imperial family and the Bai family would have no rights whatsoever to gain power through Chen Rong.

There was a smile hidden beneath Emperor Du Liang's eyes as he resolutely nodded: "Indeed Minister Bai is an honest official, not at all shamelessly wanting to climb the higher branches even though his daughter will be Zhen's daughter-in-law. Quickly, write an announcement for the world to see and follow this beloved official's virtues."

Eunuch Min naturally couldn't miss this opportunity.

"Bi xia, the announcement reads: Let the world witness! Third rank official Bai Ping Bo of the Ministry of Rites has a heart as lucid as the waterfalls of Qingchu[1], not gaining advantages through personal relationship. For this, his Majesty bestows a silver Buddha to the Bai household."

Monarch Xia Chun was satisfied with this and sealed it with his dragon stamp.

Just a few words and Bai Ping Bo's route to promotion was successfully blocked. He now couldn't use the excuse of being related to the Emperor through marriage to throw his weight around other officials.