37. Curtain Closes

The guests inside the banquet hall had all loosened up when the Emperor arrived with great fanfare earlier.

The imperial guards faded away but the guests didn't see the reason for it which was the threatening figures teeming in the shadows.

Now, his Majesty was even laughing and joking with the lower officials which they didn't get to do during normal days at the court.

The tension earlier flew with the wind. They didn't even know what the Empress and the others were worried about.

The Emperor's presence reassured the officials and their families.

But then, they suddenly heard the war drums resounding. The people who were having fun were all alarmed. What was it this time?

The floor even vibrated as the sounds of countless horses galloped just outside the palace walls.

Emperor Du Liang sighed. "Aish, they really did it. Zhen was hoping against all hopes that Our sons weren't that foolish. What wishful thinking..."

Only Eunuch Min Tong who was by his side all this time heard the Emperor's tiredness.

A few days ago, he almost lost his life but was saved by the Xiu people. They hid him in an unknown corner of the palace. While the Emperor pretended to be sick.

And just last night, Imperial Consort Fa visited his Majesty to offer a tonic which the Emperor drank wholeheartedly. The imperial consort never knew that the tonic she offered had been replaced as she walked over to the Sacred Sky hall.

Anyone wouldn't notice the difference. After all, the ones who replaced it could only be described as ghosts.

The Emperor then died earlier this afternoon.

As far as Eunuch Min Tong knew, there was really a corpse inside the dragon chambers that looked like the Emperor. Who knew what demonic methods his Majesty did to achieve this?

And then, bi xia travelled down the secret passageways of the royal palace to appear here at the banquet hall.

Emperor Du Liang was a master of games. If one wanted to play him, one needed to be ready to fight against a big boss dressed as a small fry.

But there were just some people who were clearly only at level 15 but thought they could do level 100.

Moments passed by and the sounds of fighting intensified that they were clearly heard even with the royal palace's thick walls.

All the officials and their families started to fear for their lives. Was there a rebellion?

But why would someone want to revolt? His Majesty was still alive and kicking!

The Emperor's lighthearted voice soothed everyone. "Beloved subjects, do not fret. Those who have sinned will pay for it tonight."

The guests felt goosebumps rising even though the Emperor's voice was cheerful. How could they not fret? Didn't half of them support the third prince? If the commotion outside happened to be the third prince's efforts to get the throne, they would be the first ones to die inside this hall!

"Someone, fetch Zhen's family. Really, why aren't they here yet? Tsk, tsk, can this winter banquet happen without them?"

A eunuch ran out as though his butt was on fire and his Majesty only watched with twinkling eyes.

He leaned his elbow on the throne's armrest and propped his chin on his fist as he waited.

No one knew what he was thinking about.