chapter 6

The weekend dragged by for you as you waited for Monday

The weekend dragged by for you as you waited for Monday.  It was hard to wait until Monday to tell your work  friends about your promotion so you avoided them. 

You passed on a night out Saturday night knowing if you got tipsy you would spill everything you knew. You were strangely ok with that.  A small corner of your heart was happy that you shared this news only with Jin.  You did not want to examine that too closely.

You picked your clothes carefully for Monday and arrived at the office a bit early.  The CEO and your manager had already arrived and were talking in the conference room.

The next couple of hours passed swiftly in the announcement, the excitement of your friends, the boxing and moving of your office.  You were giddy with your accomplishment.  It was almost noon before you took a break.

Finally you stopped and sat at your new desk.  It was large and made of dark wood, polished to a shine.  Your desk chair was new and comfortable. You swiveled in it to look out the huge bank of windows behind you.

There were two chairs at the front of the desk and in front of that a small seating area with two comfortable couches and a table. A glass wall looked behind the seating area gave a view to the common areas of the office.

The office was nice, if a little impersonal right now. Your mind was happy listing things you needed to find to breathe life into it, to make it yours.

You were pulled out of your mental list making by your new personal assistant.  He was efficient and chatty and ready to become your best asset.  You smiled as he came in the room. 

He was bouncing, grinning like a crazy man!

“You have a delivery!!” he announced.

“Ok?” you responded, curious at his excitement and also at who might send you something.

He stepped aside and a courier stepped in carrying a huge bouquet of lavender roses.  They were so beautiful.

Tears threatened as you thought of your mom and her love for roses, that color in particular. Then your heart started to thud harder as a new memory overshadowed any old pain.

A memory flashed of reaching for a lavender rose and touching the long elegant fingers of the most beautiful man you had ever seen. 

This was the same man who threatened to make his guard chase him around a crowded restaurant to persuade you to date him.

No” you thought ”it could not be him.
He does not even have my phone number much less know where I work. Who would do this?  The company?  Your office friends?”

Your assistant took them from the courier and put them on the low table by the couches.  He pulled a card from the center as you moved toward him.