chapter 15

Three days later you came home late from work, again, and drug yourself to your front door

Forget supper, you were drinking Soju and going straight to bed. 

You did think to check the mail before you went in.  You were surprised to find a thick envelope with a handwriting you were beginning to recognize. 

You tucked the letter under your arm and stepped inside.  As soon as you entered the door you dropped everything but the letter and kicked your shoes off. 

You forced yourself to wait until you had a cold bottle of Soju and a bag of chips in your hands before you started the letter.

Settling into your deep couch with a blanket and your snacks, you carefully opened the letter.

Inside were three pages of expensive stationary closely covered with Jin's writing. You ran your finger along the torn edges and recognized the paper as having been torn from Jin's journal.

You opened them and began to read:

“Dear Heart,

I hope this letter finds you well.  My hope is that you are reading with a good glass of wine and a hearty meal.  Please take good care of yourself"

You looked down at your meal and scrunched up your nose.  You would do better tomorrow.

You went back to the letter.  In it Jin asked you what kind of music you liked, then went on to describe his favorite music, artists  and specific songs. 

He drifted to how he got interested in music and his hopes for the future.  He even shared some lyrics he had written. 

You read the letter a second then a third time. 

The last time you could picture him leaning forward, smiling and sharing this passion with you, checks flushed and eyes sparkling. 

You sat for a while then went in search of a pen and the journal Jin sent you.

You began to write and found yourself pouring out story after story of your favorite songs, first concert, responding to the thoughts and memories he had shared. 

When you finished an hour had slipped away and several pages of the journal were covered in your messy handwriting.  You loved it. 

You took a picture of the journal and Jin's letter, both intentionally out of focus and sent it to him.