chapter 11

Jin was growing bored and irritated at the conversation around him

Jin was growing bored and irritated at the conversation around him.  All he wanted was to talk to you and explore the conflicting thoughts  roaring in his head and his heart. 

He looked for you several times, not sure how much time had passed since you excused yourself. 

He was angry that someone took your seat.  Then he reasoned you could come and sit with him when you returned.

Finally the men began to disburse around him.  A few well placed comments and frosty looks sent the female hangers on away as well. 

Just as he was standing to go look for you, the bar keep appeared and slammed a drink on the table. Jin rolled his eyes.  This happened to him all the time.

“ This is from the lady at the bar" the bartender practically growled.

“ Tell her thank you but I am here with someone” Jin responded, scanning the crowd for you.

“ She asked that I give this to you.  I suggest you read it" the bartender snapped, shoving a napkin in Jin's hand and stalking away.

Jin looked down at the unfamiliar writing and felt his face flush at what he read there.

Jin.  Thank you  for a lovely dinner.  I enjoyed it very much.  I had to leave, I have a very important work meeting in the morning and the hour is late…”

“Fuck”….Jin thought  she told me that, she told me how early it was and how important it was.

He checked his watch.  It was almost 1 am.  “Fuck" he repeated.

I tried to capture your attention, and deeply regret that I could not do so.  I wish you all the best.

Very truly yours…..”

And your signature was scrawled at the bottom.  He took a minute to look at it.  It was as  bold and strong and elegant as you were.

Jin jumped to his feet and rushed to the bar.  He found the bartender and shouted at him

“Hey! You! Where is she?  I have to find her!” Jin demanded.

The bartender laughed in his face.

“Now you care?  She is gone" he answered.

“Gone?” Jin felt the room tilt as the alcohol he had consumed and the situation he had created hit him simultaneously.

“Gone where? When?” Jin demanded.

“Where?? Home I guess. When? About 45 minutes ago by now “ the bartender answered, watching Jin's face. "She asked me to give her a fifteen minute head start.  I gave her thirty.”

The bartender braced himself as Jin processed the information.  He could see on Jin’s face when he realized what had happened.  He spoke again.