chapter 13

Your alarm sounded, too loud and too early and intruded at a crucial part of your dream

Your alarm sounded, too loud and too early and intruded at a crucial part of your dream.  You were leaning over a tall dark man, about  to kiss him, when the shrill alert drug you to consciousness. 

You swatted off the noise and lay still trying to place the dull ache you were feeling.  Then as you became fully awake, the events of last night came roaring back. Now you placed it.  The pain was the reminder of a bruised and battered heart.

Jeez, already?” you taunted yourself.
You just met the jerk.  He was a bad date, not the love of a lifetime! Get over it". 

With a deep sigh you drug yourself out of bed and your inner voice moved on to reminders of today's tasks and a pep talk for the meeting.

All the while you were getting ready, through your morning prep, your make up, brushing your teeth, you somehow avoided really taking a deep look at yourself in the mirror.

  You knew if you did you would have to admit that a tiny piece of your very stubborn heart was not convinced he was a jerk from a bad date, not convinced at all.

Jin gave up the illusion of sleep as dawn broke.  He quietly checked his phone.

He found no change from the check ten minutes ago, or the one  five minutes before that, or the countless ones he had done throughout the night.  There was no new message from you.

Jin stumbled from his bed and went to sit on the balcony of his apartment.  He sat to watch the sun rise. 

The day was going to be beautiful.  The sky lit with vibrant colors, the birds began to sing, the city was coming to life around him.  Jin did not notice a single one of these things. 

His entire focus was on the screen in his hand.  He willed a message, prayed for a call, even a new set of insults would be welcome. Still nothing appeared.

You just made the biggest mistake of your life" he told himself “ did you really not respect her any more than that?  You thought she would stupidly wait for you and then happily welcome you into her bed? “

Jin felt shame and conviction over the times in his recent past when women had done exactly that.  This was different.  You were different.

No! “ He argued with himself “ that was not my intent at all!! I never said…. I never thought she would……. I wanted…….”

He angrily stood and paced the balcony, trying to drown out the damning thoughts. He knew there was no escaping this truth.

You are an idiot.  You knew she was worth more than that from the moment you saw her.  You should not have toyed with her affections. You have nothing to give a woman like that. Go back to your “companions" and leave her untouched.  Leave her whole for a good man’s love.  You know she is not for you"