Chapter 10 (Rewritten)

Pink carnation flower in my vase today making my desk more feminine symbolizing that I was unforgettable and being missed. We were on edge with each other since that night, not talking properly, sending even simple messages through our secretaries, avoiding each other at every chance.

I knew this would happen. These kind confession between two long friends reach to awkwardness one way or another. In first case, if the feeling are reciprocated by recipient then they try to find their footing in new-found relationship, testing the romantic water, getting awkward together.

In the other case, when feelings aren't reciprocated. They drift apart, try to find their footing in their old relationship and get awkward alone.

I threw the file on my desk. I couldn't tolerate this anymore. We weren't supposed to be like this. It was understandable that this all was very uncomfortable but one of us had to come forward. If takes me making a step to regain our previous relation then I wouldn't hesitate to do this.

With this newfound determination. I walked to his office and knocked my knuckles two times on door.

"Come in." He ordered in a loud voice. I strides in to find him sitting on his chair reading some documents.

He didn't look up so I just sat on a chair opposite to him to get his attention.

"Zach, We need to talk." I drummed my fingers on table.

He closed his documents and looked up at me. "OK let's talk."

I bit my lip due to the tension in room. "We are still good friend, right?"

It wasn't a statement. It was a question. I wasn't sure where we stood at this moment but I would respect his wish. No matter what.

"Why would you think that?" His expressions said like he genuinely couldn't understand.

Cat and mouse game. If he didn't want me to mention the situation then alright. I won't.

"You have been avoiding me. What I am supposed to think?"

"It's just ....." He stopped and brushed his hand in his hair

"A tiny part of me thought that you would say yes."

He stared dejectedly. He really thought that he had a small chance. It was like I stepped on his hope.

"It wouldn't have been fair to you Zach." I mumbled in soft voice.

"I understand your reason but don't you feel anything?" His voice sounding desperate at end.

"I never saw you that way. It was like I knew you were off limits." I tried to explain.

"What if there wasn't religion between us." He asked me abruptly.

"I don't know Zechariah and does it matter?" I closed my eyes in pain.

"You are right. I hope you remain happy Noor even if its not with me." He said the last part in very soft voice.

We heard someone walk in without knocking and that person took the seat beside me.

I looked to find Hudhayfah sitting next me. They were both greeting each other so I looked at my wrist watch to find that it was still 15 minute to 7:00. He was early.

"Are you feeling good?" I heard Zechariah ask me and Hudhayfah also turned his head to look at me.

"Yes, Why are you asking?" I looked back at him.

"You are wearing nail paint today. Are you in pain? You should have taken leave." He was blabbering in concern.

"Zachariah stop." I glared at him.