Chapter 20

Jake's POV

I feel bad for Lexi. Today is Veteran's Day and most kids will have lunch with there family member that is a veteran but not Lexi and her friends. Their dads are in Iraq still.

I am walking into school right now. I see Lexi and her friends with black expressions. I continue walking into the school.

Math was replaced with a assembly about Veteran's Day. I didn't se Lexi, Emmy, Sam, Kate, Danny, Dylan, Austin,Nick, Erick, and Jason.

During History they sat out in the hallway some crying.

At lunch they sat quietly facing the wall. Then 10 men in uniforms came and stood behind them and tapped their shoulders. They turned around screamed Dad, hugged them, and a few of them were crying. The whole cafeteria stood up and clapped even me. After they calmed down they ate and laughed.

We went back to class.

I walk out of school at the end of the day and see Lexi smiling. I get on my bike and go home.

At home I decided to let Lexi pick the book.

I walked over to her house and rang the doorbell.

Lexi answered the door. She yelled to her parents that she was gonna be in her room with me working on a project.

We ran up 2 flights of stairs to get to her room.

"Is this floor all yours?" I ask.

"Yeah" she replies.

"You choose the book." I say.

"Ok. I chooses Alice Bliss by Lisa Herrington. Its about a military daughter (Alice) whose father is deployed in Iraq. It is told in alternating view points between her and her mother Angie." She says as she grabs the book off of her shelf.

I don't argue with the book choice. I can see why she chose it. She reads a chapter to me.

Her mom comes up and says that it's dinner time and she invited my family over.

At dinner she learned that my real dad was in the army and that I live with my mom, brother, and stepdad.

After dinner we leave and I go to bed.

The picture is of Lexi's house.