1 | expectations

S U M M E R L Y N
B L A N E Y

Being the daughter of NASCAR'S most successful driver isn't at all what I expected to be. The last name Blaney can come with a lot of expectations. People expect everything from you like winning. Winning wasn't easy for me like any other girl in the sport. I had to scratch and claw my way to where I was today. Noah, it was the total opposite. Winning came naturally to him. People assumed my dad only kept me at Blaney Motorsports because I was his daughter. They assumed my dad was carrying me through this sport.

"Honey, racing isn't easy." My mom sighed handing me a cup of coffee. "You're father's career didn't start off smooth either. He was always on the bottom of the totem pole. Everyone assumed since Grandpa Blaney didn't win in the sport, that your father wasn't going to win either."

"How dad get from nothing to something?"

"Hard work." My mom stated. "When you're dad started believing in himself and surrounded himself with the right people, that's where the magic happened. Noah is the complete opposite of your father."

"Because he has more confidence than I ever will. He got that from you."

"Yeah, except times like ten. He probably got it from Peyton too."

"I miss her." I frowned.

"We all do. It never gets easier without her here with us. But I know she'd be so proud of you. You guys were always the best of friends." Mom said trying to make me feel better. "Now, how about we get you to final practice? Your father isn't going to like me if you're late again."

My mom was always my number one supporter. My mom understood me in ways other people didn't. Don't get me wrong I loved my dad to death, but I sometimes felt pressured from him too. I always leaned towards her and my little sisters too whenever there was a problem.

"Eyes to yourself hot shot." I pushed my brother aside as I walked into the garage. "Drooling over my best friend isn't a look on you."

"Losing doesn't look good on yo-"

"Noah Blaney." Mom stopped him from finished his sentence. I knew what he was going to say and I didn't care. Noah tries to get underneath my skin about a thousand times a day. Growing up with a super cocky brother wasn't easy, but I blocked him out as much as possible.

"Sorry mom." Noah turns around talking to his crew chief. There was cheering and hollering down a couple of garages down all the way through to Noah and I's. It was the one and only Ryan Blaney, my dad, making an entrance. "Nice entrance dad." Noah chuckled.

"Didn't even plan it son." Dad chuckled back. My guess was always Noah to be dad's favorite child. He brought in the wins, money, sponsors and I brought home crappy finishes to DNFs. I quickly turned to my crew chief, Jimmie Johnson, to debrief the changes we made last night.

"You're all set. Go put some fast laps down, and we'll adjust from there." Jimmie pats my back. After Jimmie retired, he took a few years off to spend with his family. Later, he announced he wanted to come back as a crew chief. Dad seized that opportunity and took Jimmie over to Blaney Motorsports. It just so happens I have him as my crew chief now. Dad is hoping to move Jimmie up to the BMS Cup team after this season. "Snap out of it Blaney."

"Huh what?"

"You need to stop worrying about your brother and start focusing on you. You'll never be successful if you start comparing yourself to another driver." Jimmie states. "Now go out and put some laps down."

| afterwards |

"Nice laps Blaney." Stella Lynn comes over. Stella and I met in elementary school and practically grew up together. We entered go kart racing together before racing along side each other through the ranks. Stella, sadly, was a part time driver in Xfinity therefore I didn't see her every weekend.

"Thanks." Noah cockily replies.

"She was talking to me you idiot."

"Ignore him." Stella shakes her head. "Let's go out for lunch." She pulls me out of the garage towards the motor homes.

"Hey Summerlyn." Theo Murphy waved as we passed by him. "Nice practice."

"Thanks Theo." I shyly smiled.

"The hottest Cup driver just talked to you." Stella gently pushed me. "He's got a thing for you!" She exclaimed continuing to push me around as we walked into the motor home lot.

"Stop." I rolled my eyes. "He's in Cup and I'm in Xfinity. He'd never go for me."

"You may be in Xfinity, but your last name is Blaney. Which means you've got the looks-"

"You calling my dad hot?"

"What? Have you seen pictures of your dad back in the day? Your dad was the best looking during his time." Stella raised her hands up in defense. "And your mom, not to mention, is one of the freaking prettiest people I know."

"You are disturbing." I shook my head.

"I still think he's got his eyes locked on you. You're literally perfect in every way. All I'm saying is, if he asks you-"

"Of course I'll say yes, but my dad?"

"I'll handle your dad. I can be very persuasive when I need to be."  

"And this is why you're my best friend."