17 | i'll be better

N O A H
B L A N E Y

@nascar: We are saddened by the news that we've lost Stella Lynn in a sprint car accident last night. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families and friends affected by this unexpected, and tragic loss.

Things can change in an instant

Things can change in an instant. The next morning we all found ourselves flying back to North Carolina for Stella's funeral tomorrow, for friends and family only. Not much had been said between anybody since we received the news. I hadn't seen Summerlyn since last night, and to be honest? I was worried about her.

"You okay?" Kianna whispers putting her hand on top of mine.

"Yeah." I nodded before staring back out the window as we took off. Kianna eventually dozed off for the rest of the flight, resting her head on my shoulder. I uncertain of what would happen next, but I knew at least I had her by my side.

| north carolina |

After we landed, everyone quietly went their separate ways. Nobody said anything to each other which was the strange part. The sun started to set as we finally arrived home. Summerlyn immediately went up to her room, everyone stood there staring at each other, not knowing to leave her alone or go after her.

"I'll check on her." Briella sighed sadly, pulling her luggage up with her. Mom and dad looked at each other clearly defeated. I decided everyone needed space right now, so I retreated back to my room.

The walls were thin enough that I could hear Summerlyn's sobs and Briella trying to comfort her. I laid down on my bed staring at the ceiling contemplating if I should go talk to Summer or not. I haven't been the best brother, hell I've been the worst brother ever. The reality was I was a sensitive guy despite the tough-guy image I made for myself. I hated seeing people in pain. Growing up in this family I saw a whole lot of pain and I've felt it. Losing Peyton was my biggest loss, that was a different kind of pain.

From Kennedy: Hey Noah, how is everyone doing at your place? Your mom and dad aren't answering any of my texts...

To Kennedy: hey Kenny, not so good if I'm being honest :/

From Kennedy: I think I might know the answer, but how's Summer doing? Do you think she'll race this week?

To Kennedy: She's not doing too good... Honestly don't know. I don't think my mom or dad will be asking her that anytime soon, she's still in a pretty sensitive/shocked state rn

From Kennedy: Poor Sum :( well, tell your dad or mom to get back to me whenever they can. A bunch of people at the shop are wanting to make decals for BMS cars in memory of Stella.

To Kennedy: I think that's a great idea. I will tell him.

As I put down my phone, I see Briella walk out of Summerlyn's room looking defeated. I sighed to myself, forcing myself up, I somehow ended up outside of Summerlyn's room. I'd been a constant pain in her life, I treated her like shit and she didn't deserve that. Things I held against her, they weren't any of her fault. She was my twin, I have to salvage what's left of our relationship. It's what Peyton would want. I came to the harsh reality on the plane, Peyton would be so disappointed in my behavior and how shitty of a twin brother I'd been to Summerlyn.

"Summer, can we talk?" I quietly asked, knocking on her door frame. She was lying on her bed, back facing the door. She quickly looked over her shoulder at me and simply shrugged.

"If you came here to boast or rub anything in my face-"

"I'm not I promise." I frowned. "Here, I won't even look at you." I walked in and sat down on her bed facing away from her. "Remember when we were kids and you, Peyton, and I would always collect the confetti in victory lane whenever dad won? I was thinking about that on the plane ride back. Things were so much simpler back then, I kinda miss those days. We were actually close and we didn't have to pressures of living up to dad or mom's legacy."

"You're stalling." She mumbles.

"Okay, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've been the worst brother ever. Hell, I've been the worst brother in the entire damn universe. Peyton would probably be slapping me across the face multiple times. You didn't deserve the crap I gave you." I paused and sighed. "Listen, I'm sorry. I failed to be there for you like a brother should have. You reminded me so much of Peyton, I thought pushing you away was the best for me. You were so much like Peyton, I didn't want to lose you and get hurt. Looking back now, that logic doesn't make any sense. I just thought the further away I was from you, the less I would be hurt if something happened to you. Does that make any sense?"

"Not at all, but I do appreciate the apology." Summer lightly chuckles, sitting on the floor next to me. "And I do appreciate the explanation. I miss her too Noah, she was everyone's best friend. Sometimes I feel like we have to live up to her legacy on top of dad's."

"I love you sis, even if you are still a pain in the ass." I chuckled. "And I'll be better than I was before."

"l love you too, and I forgive you for crashing me out."

"Don't even bring that up." I groaned. "That was stupid of me, I don't know what I was even thinking."

"You weren't thinking." She laughed, wiping away her tears. "You're phone is buzzing." She pointed out. I took a quick look at the caller ID. "You really like her, don't you?"

"Yea, I really do."

"Well, I think you should go for it." She grins, nudging my shoulder. "I like Kianna, I think you two would be great together."

@summerlynblaney: to my best friend, thank you for accepting me, challenging me, racing with me, crying with me, laughing with me, and being by my side since day one. I love you forever Stella Lynn. You are the best I could've asked for. Rest in peace SL 🖤

 Rest in peace SL 🖤

Comments Disabled