13 | blinding lights

S U M M E R L Y N
B L A N E Y

"Hey, don't look at him, look right here at me." Theo hands gently turns my head towards him. "Don't worry about his race, focus on yours because your race matters the most." Theo tilts his head in a serious manner. "Now, do go what you always do best."

It was the day. The day every NASCAR fan had been anxiously awaiting, but a day I never wanted to come. It was the return of Noah Blaney at Texas Motor Speedway. Noah and I hadn't spoken a word since our fight, not even looked at each other. The odd thing was mom and dad hadn't said a word about this whole situation, I assumed they were leaving it alone for Noah and I to decide what happens next.

"I'm assuming you're implying winning?" I laughed.

"That's my girl." Theo blurts out, his eyes go wide in embarrassment. I chuckled as Theo Murphy turned red, it was cute. "I-I mean-"

"Don't worry Theo, I could get used to the sound of that-"

"That's enough love birds. Blaney time to get your head in the game." Jimmie interrupts. "Nothing against you guys, but I do have something against the rest of the competition who are already strapped in." Jimmie smiles innocently.

"When did you become my second dad JJ?" I joked as Theo dismissed himself. "Are you happy now? You scared him off."

"I was hired by your father, and I'm getting paid to be ordered around by you."

"I'm not that bad, and you know it. You like working with me even if you don't want to admit it." I nudged his shoulder before climbing into my car.

"I've worked with so many drivers before you. None of them were as stubborn as you." Jimmie chuckles. "But at the same time, none of them were as driven and smart as you Blaney." He adds patting my helmet. "Go show Texas that you don't belong in your brother's shadow."

"And that's why I have the best crew chief." I smiled sincerely. Jimmie was the best crew chief I could've ever asked for. He was seriously like a second dad, a mentor. He saw things in me that I never see, he taught me to believe in myself and focus on my race.

"And if you win today? I guess I'll let Theo be around you more often under my watch."

"I'm gonna hold you to that."

"Go get em' Blaney."

"Drivers! Start your engines!"

"Fire it up," Jimmie says as I flipped the right switches to being my car to life. "Alright guys, let's go out there and do what we do best. Clean stops by the crew, and good decisions made by the driver."

"Couldn't have said it any better JJ," I replied as the field went through the pace laps. "You've all been working so hard this weekend, guys. I think it's time for me to repay you."

"Alright, the pace car is off." My spotter says. "Get ready, ready, ready. Go, go, go."

| 50 laps later |

"Caution is out. 98 spun out."

"How's that car feeling?" Jimmie asks.