3 | into the unknown

S U M M E R L Y N
B L A N E Y

"Rock and roll Blaney." Jimmie pats me on the back as I climbed into the car. "Keep car clean in the draft and make smart moves. We don't want to end up in the garage this time around. Let's start off this season strong."

"Yes sir."

"Don't let this guy boss you around too much. He's getting a lil old if you ask me." Uncle Chase joked as he walked up poking his head into my car. "Put this car in victory lane, sound like a plan?"

"Sounds like a plan Uncle Chase, thanks."

Uncle Chase was another influential figure in my life. He retired a couple years after dad and won a couple more championships as well. Uncle Chase runs Hendrick Motorsports now after the devastating death of Rick Hendrick. Hendrick's glory was restored once Chase took over, the wins and championships were starting to come more consistently. The faces of HMS? Nineteen year old William Elliott and twenty three year old Kendall Elliott, my cousins.

"No problem kid." He smiles patting my helmet before pulling up my window net. I overhear the command over the cheers of the crowd. I flipped the switch, hearing my car come to life.

"Radio check, you got me SB?" My spotter asks before Jimmie comes through.

"I got ya both." I replied. "Let's have a good race and start this new season off strong. Thank you for all the hard work this weekend fellas."

| restart- green, white, checkered |

"Steady, steady-" My spotter, Luke, says as I readied myself. "Green, green, green."

I slowly accelerated my car giving myself a good restart against Kennedy and Noah. I dived down to the inside of them taking us three wide. I take the air off of Kennedy giving my car a slight run into turn one. I get the all clear and moved up in front of the two lines forming.

"22 car is side drafting the 00." Luke reports. "Ease up to the top, brother is getting a run." He added. I cut in front of my brother stopping his run as we approached the backstretch into turn three and four. "Coming to the white. Field is now three wide behind you. Stay in the middle for now."

"Bring it home." I heard someone over the radio. I was unable to recognize the voice as I kept my focus on the track ahead.

"Crashing they're crashing behind you! Keep it rolling!" Luke urged on as I came out of turn four, full speed ahead. "SUMMERLYN BLANEY YOU JUST WON YOUR FIRST RACE!"

"Proud of you kid!" Jimmie comes over the radio. "Celebrate the hell out of that car." Jimmie encouraged as I made a line of smoke behind me. I climbed out of my car to retrieve my checkered flag. I waved it up in the air as I walked back to my car with my emotions rising within me. "Get back here to victory lane. We'll be waiting for you."

Victory lane was everything I'd imagine it to be plus more. I climbed out of my car as team showered me in Gatorade. I hopped off the car and went straight to Jimmie and my team giving them all hugs.

"Summerlyn Blaney, wins her first ever Xfinity Race. Tell me how you're feeling."

"Amazing." I replied. "Its been a tough ride for me. We've had cars before that were capable of winning, but things didn't fall into place. I cannot thank my team, sponsors, everyone at BMS enough for not giving up on me. I'd especially like to thank my parents who have given me this opportunity. I have no idea where I'd be without them."

"Thank you Summerlyn, enjoy this win."

"I will, thank you."

I turned around to get attacked by friends and family.

"I'm so proud of you honey." Mom pulled me into a hug.

"We are too." Brielle and Jordyn walked up also joining the hug.

"Maybe I should start telling you to win more often." Chase jokes coming from behind accompanied by Kendall, William, Delaney, and Bryant. "Proud of you kid, beyond proud. You deserve it."

"Where's Noah and dad?"

After that question, I soon found myself in the hospital waiting room awaiting news on my twin brother.