Chapter 7: A devil in my house

Akiko finished blow drying her hair and hopped in her bed. She took out a book and started reading.

Ayato entered the room and got on the bed. He sat beside her and laid his head down on a pillow.

Akiko put her book down and stared at him. Ayato had his eyes shut, "I know I'm handsome but will you quit staring at me?"

Ayato's eyes suddenly opened and he got up. He pinned Akiko down, "If you keep staring at me, I'll start to think that you like me."

"W-What nonsense is that? I have a boyfriend you know!" Akiko said.

"Then quit staring and me and sleep." Ayato backed away and laid back down on his pillow.

Akiko's face was red as she turned off the lights in the room.

Ayato could sense that Akiko was tensed.

"Relax. I have no interest in a body like yours." Ayato said.

Akiko kept quiet. She didn't know if that was an insult or he was just trying to calm her down. Somehow, it worked and Akiko managed to fall asleep.

The next morning when Akiko got up, Ayato wasn't beside her anymore. Akiko heaved a sigh of relief and got out of bed.

Akiko went to the living room and saw a dog collar on the floor. Her eyes started to water, "Mickey..."

Ayato suddenly walked out of the kitchen.

Akiko was shocked and stepped back. She fell on the floor.

"What are doing? Do humans nowadays cry all the time?" Ayato asked, annoyed.

Akiko ignored him and continued to cry.

Ayato looked at the dog collar that Akiko was staring at.

"He's dead isn't he?" Ayato asked.

Akiko stared at him shocked, "H-how did you know?"

"I collected his soul." Ayato said.

Akiko's tears kept flowing down, "He was my close friend."

"That's his fate. Move on. He's just a dog." Ayato said coldly.

"He's not just a dog! He was my close friend!!" Akiko shouted at Ayato.

Ayato kept quiet before speaking, "There's nothing you can do. Crying won't help. It won't bring him back will it?"

Akiko stared at him. She thought to herself, was he trying to comfort her?

Akiko smiled as tears continued to roll down her face.

"Geez.. humans nowadays... they're really weird." Ayato raised one of his eyebrows and sat on the couch.

Akiko got up and walked towards him, "Thanks."

"For what?" Ayato asked.

"For comforting me." Akiko said.

Ayato looked away, "Don't get the wrong idea, your crying was just annoying."

Akiko smiled, "Are you hungry? I'll make breakfast!"

Before Ayato could reply, Akiko walked into the kitchen and started to cook.

"What an annoying- no, interesting human." Akiko said.

"What exactly did you do in your previous life to be stripped of your wings?" Akiko whispered to himself.