Chapter 17: She's in danger

Haru met Xieus in an alley.

"You called for me, My Lord?" Haru bowed.

"Rise." Xieus said.

"You know the girl that is living with Ayato now, don't you?" Xieus asked.

Haru remained silent for a few seconds before answering, "Yes..."

"You can tell, can't you? Her energy... it's different. She's a fallen angel, isn't she?" Xieus asked.

Haru nodded.

"It's her... I'm sure of it." Xieus said.

Haru looked at him, "But..."

"No... this time I'm sure of it. The energy she gives off... I can't be mistaken!" Xieus said.

"My Lord, it's been almost a hundred years now...Maybe it's time you let go..." Haru said.

"SILENCE!" Xieus shouted and gritted his teeth.

"I'm sure it's her... I want you to tell me everything you know about her." Xieus said.

"She's actually already dead, My lord. She died in a car accident." Haru answered.

"Then why is she still in the human realm?" Xieus asked.

"She made a deal with us. She wanted to stay for another hundred days so she could see her sister get married before she died." Haru said.

"And you just let her? Do you know that you're breaking the rules here?!" Xieus asked.

Haru kneeled and remained silent.

"I'll grant you permission. This time, I'll let you off. I want you to continue to investigate her, and report back to me. Understood?" Xieus said.

Haru nodded his head and Xieus left.

"Akiko, why must it be you? Are you really the one?" Haru sighed.

Meanwhile, Shiro was walking up and down the void deck of Akiko's apartment. Suddenly, a hand grabbed him from behind.

It was Ayato!

"It's you!" Shiro shouted.

"Cut the crap. What are you doing here?" Ayato asked.

"I- I just wanted to see her." Shiro said.

"After all that, you think you deserve to see her?" Ayato asked, getting irritated.

"I had my reasons..." Shiro looked away.

Ayato smirked, "You're not human, aren't you?"

Shiro looked at him, shocked.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Shiro was about to leave but was stopped by Ayato.

Ayato grabbed his collar, and his eyes turned red.

Shiro closed his eyes and tried to break off.

"Hypnosis... you... you're a reaper! No wonder I found you familiar... Cold, heartless, ruthless, you're the head of reapers!" Shiro said.

Ayato smirked, "I was right. That scent from you. You're not a human at all. You were smart not to look into my eyes."

"What are you talking about? I don't get you!" Shiro looked away and took a step back.

"... Stop pretending! I'm already lowering my EQ and IQ to talk to you. Stop wasting my time! You were able to guess my identity in such a short period of time, and you say you're human?!"  shouted.

Shiro remained silent. One of his eye turned blue, the other yellow and his hair turned white.

"So you're a fox spirit." Ayato said.

"Since you've already figured out my identity, there's no use denying it. Yes, I am." Shiro said.

"What are you doing in the human realm?" Ayato asked.

"I'm here for Akiko. She saved me in her previous life from hunters. I vowed that i would find her one day and protect her from that day onwards. After spending some time with her, I have to admit, I too have fallen for her." Shiro explained.

"Then why did you do that to her?" Ayato asked.

"Do you know that stupid girl... was actually heart-broken?" Ayato asked her and grabbed Shiro's collar tighter.

"You don't understand. She's in great danger..." Shiro said.

"The King is coming for her..."