1 - Strawberries

Me and Luke had been separated from the group after the latest events at Howes. We had got through the herd together, I heard Sarah scream. A noise that I know will now haunt me forever. I kept running with Luke a few paces in front of me.

"Come on Clem, we can't stop now!" He shouts and we run through the forestry to get a safe distance away from the hardware store where everything had just gone down.

I thought about Sarah, Carlos, Rebecca, Kenny and Jane. Did they make it out alive? My heart raced at the thought of them no longer being with us.

"I need to stop!" I yelled to Luke. I was out of breath. We had finally covered enough distance to slow down. I could no longer hear the constant groan of walkers or the gunshots from Howes. Luke stops. He holds onto his knees and breathes heavily. I sit on a log and do the same.

Anxiety and guilt bubbles inside of me. We lost everyone, there was no going back.

"We shouldn't have left them" I choke, still struggling for breath.

"We loose people Clem, we can't let it hold us back" He rubs the sweat off of his forehead and turns towards me. I didn't expect him to give me such a harsh comment in response.

"Kenny!" I say in shock as I remember him. I know he's strong even if he is a broken man. I look back into the dark forest for some sort of hope that they would come out of the bushes any second. I waited in anticipation, nothing happened.

"We can find them soon, we need to get somewhere safe to stay. Let's keep walking" I agree with Luke and begin to walk beside him.

I think about my parents, how much they looked after me before all of this began. My parents raised me in the broken yet semi-functional world, although people like Lee and Luke raised me in this messy world we now had to call home.

I treated Lee like a second father and Luke like an older brother I never had. Sometimes I didn't agree with what they were doing but I followed and nodded upon their decisions to keep them happy. No point in added more flames to the fire when you're already warm enough.

It was over an hour later when we came across a house. Oak wood built it up strong, a bit like the cabin but this house only consisted of one floor. No stairs.

"It looks abandoned" I say as we crouch down near the bushes near the house in case there's something or someone nearby we don't like the look of.

It was a small house in the middle of the forest with a singular road leading to it.

"Maybe we should follow the road?" I suggest. Luke ignored me as he studied the front of the house for a plan to flank it.

He gets up and doesn't say a word. I see a sign by the house it read '342 Swan Court'. I think about this for a little while and realise what this could be.

"It could be a cabin, for holidays?" I say waiting for my answer to be proven right.

"Could be, usually there's multiple cabins though. I only see one. Let's go check it out. If things go south and it's not what we expect, run back towards Howes. It's best to go in a direction we're familiar with and we'll work it out from there." He tells me. I acknowledge his information by giving him a nod.

We both walk up to the front door and I draw my pistol. Luke pulls the machete out of his holster in his dirty back and puts it in front of him for defence.

"We go in quietly" Luke gestures as he puts his finger to his lips. I stay as quiet as I can, the decking below me squeaks when I lean forward. It was getting cold out and my teeth begin to chatter.