15 - Jerick

"I wish I had a daughter as eager to work like you my sons are lazy" Turner laughs.

"I just want to do something other than school, school only lasts an hour or two. After that I'm bored" I admit to Turner. It was now June, the weather had been hot and sticky the past week.

"Well I don't usually like setting under 16's jobs" Turner said honestly.

"I know, just cause I'm 12 doesn't mean I can't do things" I protest.

"How about farming? A man named Jerick doe it outside the fence by the stream in a separate fence so nothing can get in" he explains

I think about the offer for a minute or so. I had never really thought about farming, I knew the carrots Luke had been giving me didn't just come from his fingertips but I never really thought about crops.

"Yes. I can do that" I pipe up.

"Well that was easier than expected" he laughs

"Its better than sitting around playing monopoly" I say

"I thought you liked playing it with Josh?" He questions

"Yes sir, I do but it get boring when I keep winning" I admit with a smile.

"I need to teach that boy how to play the right way. Anyway see you Clem." Turner waves at me and disappears upstairs into his room that he shared with Danny and Josh his sons.

Luke was on a collecting mission with Phil. They were going to a supermarket around an hour away to stock up. Luke said if they ever come across a parking lot they end up spending the entire day getting gas out of the cars. I knew we had more than enough cans of gas but Turner always said 'the more stocked we are the more prepared we are'.

I walked around to the gate where I assumed the farm was. I was stopped by a man on patrol.

"Kid you ain't coming through, no one under 16 is allowed to leave the wall" he holds his hand out in attempt to keep me contained.

"Turner told me to meet a guy named...Jerick?" I tried to remember the name.

"Oh, old jerry? I can take you to him." He seemed friendly, a bit like everyone in Wellington. It had been a while since new members had joined, no one had wandered through.

He opens up the large fence and takes me through. We go around the side of the large walls and I see a plot of ploughed land about the size of a small block of houses. I could see a bearded man in the distance.

"Hey Jerick!" The guard shouts waving his hand in the air the other hand gripping tightly to the AK-47 swung around his neck.

The bearded man walks towards us.

"Who are you little lady?" Jerick asks, I had never seen him before.

"I'm Clementine, you can call me Clem" I smile at him politely and he smiles back.

"What you here for Clem?" He asks

"I asked Turner if I could help out somehow after school, I felt useless doing nothing. Turner told me to help you farm, it was the only thing he'd let me do"

Jerick grumbles for a second before accepting the fact it was Turners orders and he didn't really have a choice.

"Well, I have to admit. I do need the helping hands at times" he admits leaning on a shovel.

"I guess I'll leave you too it then, holla if you need anything" the man with the gun nods at us and walks back to the gate.

"See you later Gordon" Jerick waves at him as he leaves.

I look around the farm land. There was wood laid out all over the place inside the small fence, it looked as if they were going to build shed for something.

"So what do we do?" I ask him.

"I've done everything for today crop wise. You could help me with the stable building"

"Stable?"

"Yeah, for a horse" he explains.

"We have horses?" I was pretty excited, I hadn't seen a farm animal since Maybelle the cow at the St Johns dairy, but I'd prefer to forget about the memories of licking that salt lick.

"Yeah, the collectors came across a few in a field a couple of miles away. We were going to transport them here and tame them, God knows how they haven't been torn apart by them...things yet" he looks up at the sky, I got the impression that he had lost someone close to him. But that had pretty much happened to everyone so it was no surprise.

"That's pretty amazing." The thought of horses excited me. I had never ridden one before.

"Well let's get to work and I'll tell you some more amazing news" he laughs and we walk towards the piles of wood.

There was a red metal toolbox by the side of the pile of wood. Jerick studies the frame of the stables that he was building.

"I hope the collectors come back with more wood. Some of this stuff is too short" he complains. He gets up on a small step ladder and takes a piece of wood to the top of the frame creating a roof.

"Can you hand me a hammer and a nail?" He asks trying to hold the piece of wood in place. I reach down into a small pot and grab a nail and a yellow handled hammer. I pass them to him and he begins to hammer the piece of wood. I felt awkward just standing there so I decided to start conversation.

"What sort of a name is Jerick?" I say, I didn't mean for it to come out so rude.

"What sort of a name is Clementine?" He smirks.

I pass him up another nail when he gestures to do so.

"I guess its what my mother wanted at the time. How about you?" He hammers the nail into the wood, the noise echoes across the empty fields.

"I could say the same." I had no idea why my mom named me that, maybe she saw a fruit bowl in the hospital and thought 'yes, a Clementine. Let's call our kid that.'

I spent around an hour helping Jerick, we spoke about general things like what we thought of Wellington before I heard a rumble from the road leading up to the front gates of Wellington. It must of been the collectors coming back.

"Can I go back now?" I ask awkwardly.

"We can finish this tomorrow if you want. What's the hurry, you got a loved one as a collector?" He asks climbing down from the small ladder and stroked his short grey beard.

"My brother....well he's not officially my brother but I see it that way" I smile eager to get back to see how Luke is.

"I get it kid. Run along. Same time tomorrow?" He asks as he picks up his tools.

"Sure thing!" I wave at him and head towards the front gate. I see Luke in one of the trucks he was in the passenger seat and Jamie was driving. He smiled and waved at me.

The sun was setting and when I got back inside the wall I saw Luke jump out of the truck.

"Hey, where's my hug?" He asked. I gave him my usual hug when he bend down.

"I got a job" I boast. He looked at me confused knowing that under 16s couldn't exactly do very much.

"Doing what?" He questioned

"I help Jerick out with the farm round the side. It was real fun, he said we were getting horses" I say excitedly

"Turner ain't going to like this" Luke stood up and looked worried.

"Don't worry, Turner knows. I asked him first." I say making Like calm down.

"Oh, well that's okay then" he stops rubbing the back of his neck and Anna walks up behind him.

"Everything okay?" She asks.

"Perfect as usual" Luke turns around and gives Anna a kiss on the lips. I just smiled, it was good to know there was some hope in the world.