2 - Cold Spaghetti

"Is this place okay?" I ask as I sit up and rub my eyes.

"It seems sturdy for now, I've checked the other rooms. They're empty and there's cans in the kitchen. Also bottled water, what a win!" Luke seemed excited. It was an amazing find. Finding cans and water in a world like this was like finding a needle in a haystack, near to impossible.

"You promised you'd go to bed." I say as I get up and stretch. Last night, I slept well.

"I will, I just wanted to make sure you slept well first. Wake me up if you hear anything at all, get yourself some more sleep if you can." He walks off into a bedroom to the side that I was yet to explore.

"Oh yeah and Clem?" He walks back in the room, poking his head around the doorframe.

"Yeah" I look up from the floor. Even the patterns in the oak coloured wood interested and amazed me at this point.

"There's another bedroom, it even has a large blanket. Get some food in yourself but ration it out. Don't leave me the shitty left over either." He glances at me with his tired eyes and wiggles his index finger.

"I know I know! Get some sleep damn it" I laugh at him as he pulls a face and goes back into the bedroom.

I can clearly see the room now with the daylight intruding. There was huge windows all around the house with blinds accompanying them. I decide to search the house whilst Luke was sleeping. I walk into the bathroom.

There was a mirror which surprisingly wasn't cracked. A layer of dust covered the top of the shelf's but other than that it seemed untouched by the undead. Something which was hard to come by now.

I look at myself in the mirror. The last time I did this I was snooping around the cabin wen I first met Luke. I felt as if I had aged a lot more since then, every day feels like a year. I see the blood splats on my hat, I felt amazed at the idea of keeping this hat the entire time. The hat meant so much to me, my dad gave it to me before he went to Savannah.

More like I took it from him.

I take it off my battered hat and examine my hair. I pat the top of my head. It's messy and hadn't been brushed in months, or cleaned for that matter.

I  eventually find the bottles of water in the kitchen that Luke had told me about. There was more than I'd expected, this house seemed to be untouched by scavengers, there must of been very little people in the area.

I was honestly surprised that Carver's men hadn't cleaned out the area since it wasn't that far away from Howes.

There was around 20 bottles of water. I took one and drunk as much of it as I could, it was so refreshing and felt good as the liquid travelled down my throat. I left some at the bottom of the bottle and took it to the bathroom with me.

There was toilet roll, I grabbed some and scrunched it up in a small ball. I used this to clean my face, which was covered in walker blood and mud. Generalised dirt and muck that should be nowhere near my face. My cheeks began to return to a cleaner colour and brighter colour.  I smiled at myself in the mirror.

I actually smiled.

I took my hair out of the hair bands and looked at the length. It was getting longer again. Lee had taught me to keep my hair short so I began the hunt to find some scissors, or at least something that could cut it correctly. I finally found a orange pair in a drawer and cut my hair the best I could. Reaching behind and feeling the puffy bits of hair drop to the floor. I then put it back in its original scruffy state.

I wasn't exactly a hair dresser so it would have to do.

I heard Luke snore and it made me laugh. He deserves to have a good rest. I open up a can of cold spaghetti. It smelt gorgeous compared to the rough meals I have had before.