20 - Tipsy

I continue to watch Luke and Anna whilst sitting back and eating food. I sat alone and stayed silent, I didn't want to say or do anything that could ruin their night.

"You okay?" Someone asks. I tilt my head up, it was Josh. He pulled a chair closer to me and sat down.

"Yeah, I'm fine I guess" I reply.

"You want to go out for a bit? Get away from all this for a little while, its quite busy around." Josh suggests.

I had nowhere to go and I was pretty bored sitting here and doing nothing. Just watching Luke have fun. It made me feel lonely but I put up with it for him. He hadn't been around as much since him and Anna had been together, he was always out doing patrols or with Anna. It was rare we got to sit in our room and just talk anymore. I agree to going outside the wall with Josh.

"Let me just go grab something" Josh explains. He was wearing a baggy jumper and ran into the reception, also his house. I waited awkwardly by the door and he came back with something tucked under his arm.

"What have you got?" I asked curiously.

"I'll tell you when we're out" he says as we sneak round the back and leave the wall.

We went and sat in our usual spot staring at the walls of Wellington. I sat down in the cold grass and Josh followed. He pulled out a wine bottle from under his jacket.

"Want some?" He pops open the top and takes a swig. I had drunk alcohol before with Nick, it wasn't pleasant.

"Where'd you get it?" I ask as he hands me the bottle. I study it.

"Dad had been saving them for a special occasion he took them out for the wedding. Thought I'd take one, you going to try it?" He explains.

I take a gulp of the wine and cough.

"Ergh" I say wiping my mouth. Josh was laughing.

"Its not that bad!" He says taking another drink.

"It wasn't as bad as the moonshine I had with Nick" I laugh.

"So have some more then" Josh insists. I take the bottle from him and take another couple of chugs.

"Woah slow down, I don't want to be responsible for any stupid shit you do" he laughs and snatches the bottle away from me.

"Its fine, I just wanted to do something exciting. Luke wouldn't really care anymore since he has Anna" I say.

"Don't be so stupid. Luke cares about you" he takes a drink.

"I know, just I haven't spoken to him properly for a long time"

"He's just...occupied. Anna's a pretty girl" he admits.

"Do you remember before?"

"Before what? Roamers?"

"Yeah"

"Pretty much, I was 10." Josh says.

I look around and see something rustling in the treeline. I ignore it, I hadn't seen a walker in weeks. I doubt it would be one of them, plus it was about 30 metres away from where we were sitting.

"I was 8, my parents left me with the babysitter, how about you?" I say sadly. I miss my parents.

"Me? I was with Danny when it happened. We were playing soccer in the park. Everyone started to panic so we ran home. We were planning to head to Michigan. My mum and dad argued a lot trying to get there. We ended up getting stuck halfway, about 3 miles from here. My mum was attacked by one of them things. I will never forget the look on my dads face. It was like he had been ripped apart and turned inside out, he was at war with the walking dead." He takes a huge gulp from the wine bottle and hands it over to me.He continues to speak and I let him.