5 - Speechless

I piled as much of the food as I could into my tatty backpack.

"I'm all filled up, you should take the drinks in the washing bags." I suggest to the two men standing by me. Luke and Kenny agree by giving me a simplistic nod.

"We should come back and search this place." Kenny begins to slowly put the sodas into the washing bag. Even the noise of them falling upon eachother was satisfying.

We all agreed on the idea of taking all of the food and drink back to the cabin and coming back in a day or two to search the rest of the reception for supplies. This could have been a potential gold mine.

"We really hit a jackpot, we can strip this place clean." Luke remarked, stretching downwards to grab the washing bag. Swiftly swinging it over his shoulder and grasping on tightly with two hands.

"We could stay in the cabin. At least until it's not so cold." My teeth chatter on cue. My back ached slightly from the weight of the bag. My toes were numb from kicking the remains of snow on the floor on the way here.

"That would be a good idea, especially if the walkers stay near Howes and continue going back that way. It's worth a shot." Kenny says as he readjusts the bag on his back.

We get back to the cabin after a few minutes footslogging through the thin snow. I place my backpack down on the table as soon as we got there, just to relieve myself of the pressure. No one had been here whilst we were out. I began to take the food out of the backpack and put it in the relatively clean cupboards.

"Best not put everything away, just in case. Keep some light stuff in the bottom of your rucksack at all times" Luke reminds me as he helps pack away the food.

"I know Luke, I know" It was tedious for him to continuously ask and remind me. But that was his job, or at least what he believed his job was.

We decided to head back up to the reception the same day. I sit down for a second to relax, the couches were comfortable and stopped the constant stress on my feet even for just a second. This cabin was the best thing that happened to me since finding Lee. Everything about it reminded me of the world before everything went wrong in the timeline of events.

When we get back to the reception we begin to search the other rooms. It was a large building which also contained a restaurant and offices. The kitchen had been cleaned out long ago although we accumulated a nice collection of knifes and a few cans of food.

"These could come in handy." Kenny annouces, raising his voice slightly as he a puts a knife in the empty sheath on his belt. He passes me the other knifes and I put them in the rucksack.

"Be careful with them." Luke warned as if he was my father telling me to be careful with a butter knife.

"I know." I sighed, showing my sassy side. I had a feeling Luke was extremely afraid to loose me after everything that had happened with Nick, Pete and everyone else he was close with. I was surprised it wasn't Kenny telling me to be careful, I'm the only one he's known since the world turned upside down still with him today.

"I'm just going to check the front desk out, y'all can go check out that other office." Luke points at the office before padding off towards the front desk. Me and Kenny exchange looks before going inside the office.

I look around and all I can see is office papers and office supplies. It reminded me of my uncle's desk, I had visited him at work once.

"There's plenty of staplers, do you think we can use them to fight off the walkers?" I laughed and Kenny replies to my joke with a small chuckle.

He disregarded me and walked towards a door I have briefly seen when entering the room.

"Hey look Clem, another exit." He points out, pushing the door forward. The cold air hit me like a slap in the face, it was a lot warmer in the reception than I realised.