4 - Reception

It had been a couple of days and we were still sat inside the cabin. I hadn't seen a walker for a little while, it was quiet. Tensions had been running high between Kenny and Luke.

Kenny was extremely stressed and Luke having arguments with him only made things worse, even if they were only over the littlest thing. It seemed that I end stopped all of the fights even though I'm the kid and I should just be sat in the background colouring. More adults listen to me than they should have.

"We have no food left, we should go and look for another one of these cabins" I say as I lay on the couch with my shoes on the armrest. I really wanted to take off my shoes but Luke won't let me, he says if something bad happens and we have to get out quick I probably wouldn't want to go barefoot. He was correct on that one.

"Is that really a good idea?" Luke asks concerned for our safety. I watch him push his hair backwards.

"Think about it, it looks like a vacation cabin. It can't be the only one." I scratch my hair, it's greasy and smells bad. But on a plus side it didn't have walker guts in it.

"The kid's right, think about it. We can't sit here and starve to death." Kenny agrees with me as he sits at the dining room table.

"If I see something out there I don't like and I end up getting killed, ya'll are to blame" Luke folds his arms and stares at me.

"We can come back here if you like. It's quiet and disclosed. I haven't seen a walker in a long time, if we find another cabin it might have the same goods inside it" I tried to convince him.

"Alright fine, we go now. Take the backpack with you so we can get as much loot as we can." Luke gives in as I stand up and smile. I checked my handgun and realised I had no ammo left. I went into the kitchen to grab a knife instead.

"We need to find some ammo." I checked my gun again because you never know, maybe ammo could magically appear? Nothing.

We head out and Luke shuts the door behind him. It was cold outside and I actually appreciated the kind gesture Bonnie did by giving me this ugly jacket. Fashion isn't a thing when dead people are walking. Although I would like a warmed jacket, I had my eyes set on one I saw in an old magazine that was left inside the cabin. I knew I would never get it.

We walk down the road and come across a few stray walkers which Luke quickly handles by hacking his machete into their skulls.

"There's got to be something around here" Kenny says as he does up his green jacket. I had never seen it done up before so this was a clear indicator that it really was blisteringly cold. The ground was covered with a very thin layer of snow.

We continued to walk eventually coming across a larger building than our small single floored cabin.

"Holy shit, what is this place?" Luke stares at the large building and stands beside the colossal windows.

The building has a large sign on top. It read 'Harrod's Winter Holiday Resort'.

"This must of been the reception." Kenny examines the windows, they were frosty and hard to see through.

We walk around to the front of the building. I look at the dead flowers and it reminds me of my old back garden I used to play in. My mom always enjoyed the flowers in our garden and it made me sad to think it had been years since I last saw them before they went to Savannah. I wish they never left me.

"Y'all stay back, I'm going to try open the door" Luke walks up the icy steps to the double doors. They looked as if at one point they were automatic. He pulls on the handles but they must of been harder to open due to the frost. I watched his hands turn red and white as he tugged.