19 - Nuptials

The song in the media section is the song I think suits near the end of this chapter at the wedding. Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed. See you next time.

"My dad said he would say the words at Luke's wedding, since we don't have a vicar and all" Josh said. It had become a regular thing for both of us to go outside the wall and talk about anything that was on our mind.

"Sounds good, anyone been married here before?" I ask

"Nope, Luke and Anna are the only ones. Hopefully there will be more one day" Josh says

"I wouldn't mind getting married here. It would be safe and that's all that would matter" I admit pulling my legs to my chest as I sat on the small hill facing Wellington.

"Already thinking of marriage? You're 12" Josh laughed at me.

"Shut up dickhead" I laugh back at him and punch him in the arm.

"I don't know, if there was a special girl. I would marry her" Josh admits.

"I've never heard you say soppy shit before" I laugh.

"There's a first time for everything" he smirks back at me and stands up before we both head back inside the gate.

I go back up to the room and peel off my sweaty shoes. No one was there, Luke was most likely on patrol or with Anna. If he was with Anna I did NOT want to know what they were up to. I sat down at the desk and opened the animal book that Luke had gotten me months ago. I continued the drawing that Luke had been showing me to do of a tiger. He was teaching me to sketch it out, I just went over the lines to make it look neater.

I missed the candy bars we had gotten from the vending machine nearly a year ago. I missed what things were. It seemed like a strange thought but I missed adventure. The uneasy feeling of not knowing who will die today or not getting any sleep or even not eating. It seemed bad to say but part of it I missed. Life was boring inside the walls, it was normal.

I look up on the shelf Luke had hammered in a month or so ago. I had put Kenny's hat on top. I studied it for a while, staring at it remembering who Kenny was. He was with his son and wife now, he was probably happy.

The door cracked open and Luke walked in.

"Oh Clem, I didn't expect you to be here" he shuts the door behind him.

"Why, were you going to be doing something dirty with Anna?" I give him a smirk.

"Pffftttt no" he jokes.

I laugh and he takes off his brown sweater and puts on a new T-shirt.

"So what are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Thinking about the wedding to be honest. I just wanted to de-stress for a second before tomorrow. Oh yeah, look at this" he comes over to me and I spin the office chair around to face him. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a golden ring.

"What do you think?" He hands me the ring and I study it.

"Where'd you get it?" I ask

"When we were collecting last week in a housing estate a couple of hours east I came across a women's jewellery box. Now I can't say how bad I feel for taking it, I feel so bad inside. But I know that this is the only way I can get a ring, I really don't want to be pulling golden rings off of dead corpses" he explains.