30 - Teenagers

Luke was sitting at the end of the bed looking at the crib opposite. Nick was inside, fast asleep. I was redoing my hair ties. It was strange, although I had other hair ties I still owned the ones that Lily had given me years ago.

"Do you think he'll have my hair?" Luke asks. I turn around to see him leaning to the crib looking at the baby inside. I walk over and look in the crib as well.

"Maybe. He has your eyes" I say.

"You really think that?" he sounded a little excited.

"Yeah, honest" I give him a small smile and he replies with one back.

"Thanks Clem" he says stroking back the auburn hair on the top of his head.

Wellington was expanding. Everyday more and more huts were able to be built. The collectors had even got to a point where they found an old RV sales park. They had brought 20 of them back creating an ultimate amount of space. Keeping people warm and spread out was the idea and it worked. But I was still thankful for the office block room that me and Luke shared. It is probably more spacious than an RV. So I was thankful for Turner's hospitality.

I hadn't really been around the last couple of weeks to help Jerick out but I didn't think he needed it. Some new people had come to Wellington, one of them used to be a farmer another was a vet. They were all set and happy in the job that they had been set. Jerick seemed to enjoy the company so I left him to it.

Baby Nick had been keeping me and Luke up the past couple of night grumbling. Luke had been a lot better than he was, he spoke more and you could actually get a smile out of him once in a while but I couldn't shake the feeling as if he felt guilty for doing so. It was even since he had a conversation with Turner when me and Josh were out....talking. I had no idea what Turner said to Luke but it definitely helped him. There was so much Turner had done for us I had no idea how to explain the sheer gratefulness that I felt.

The next half a year rolled past extremely fast. Nick was moving onto some strange sloppy food. It was a mixture of the fresh vegetables that Jerick and his team had grown.

"Look at him go" Luke said as Nick put the mashed food in front of Nicks little mouth as he sat in a highchair. Nick immediately opened his mouth as wide as he could get it trying to fit all of the food from the spoon in his mouth at once. He was extremely cute and his hair began to grow, a sweet light brown colour of thin hair poked through the top of his head.

"He's so cute" I say smiling at him as he gargled. He began making noises and smiling with his mouth wide open.

"So what are you doing today?" Luke asks me shovelling more of the mush into Nicks happy little mouth.

"I was thinking about going out for a walk" I lie. I wasn't really doing that, I was meeting up with Josh.

"By yourself?" He gives me a concerned look.

"Of course" I say, Luke had learnt to see through my lies and he just grinned.

"With Josh then?"

"Maybe" I give him a cheeky smile and he shakes his head.

"Your age scares me" Luke states with a small laugh.

"And why is that?"

"Because this is the age when you start to rebel against your family. Boys and alcohol" Luke actually laughs at his statement.

"Boys pffft I don't know what you're talking about" I say waving my hand down. Yeah right....boys. I had know idea what he was talking about. Pffffft.

"I'm going to sound like I could be your dad now. Don't mess around with boys else I'll set Nick on you" Luke laughs and I stare at the baby. Nick just sits in the highchair and fart while smiling. A funny smell comes from his diaper.

"Ergh Jesus Christ Nick! Now I know why I named you after uncle Nick, you stink just like him." Luke jokes. It had been around 6 and a half months since Anna passed. Luke seemed to be getting back on his feet finally.

Jamie on the other hand was a mess. He would go on collectors missions just to seek alcohol to find for himself. I knew what he was up to but no one else seemed to see it, or even care to take note. I would have to admit something now and that would be that I'm actually kind of scared of Jamie. Since Anna passed I barely see him but when I do he's drunk and swearing. I hate it, I try to avoid him at all costs. He needs help but I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

"Can you take this to Jamie before you go out?" Luke asks lifting up a couple of books.

"Seriously?" I couldn't believe it. I really didn't want to go.

"Oh go on Clementine. There's nothing wrong with Jamie, he's just lonely" Luke says sadly.

I give into giving Jamie back the books. I had no idea why he couldn't of done it. I walk into the other office block and find Jamie's room, the one he used to share with Anna. I knock on the door and I hear a grumble from inside and then a smash as something hits the door.

"Piss off! I don't need no charity" A voice shouts. It was the creaky voice of Jamie.

"I just need to drop off some books" I call

I hear another grumble and the door clicks open.

"Luke running making you run his errands now?" Jamie said stood at the door with what looked to be a bottle of whiskey in his hand. His beard had grown out of hand, messy. A white t-shirt was now stained with yellow nearer the top. When the door opened I got a waft of the inside smells. It was not pleasant.

"No, he just asked me to give you these books. He borrowed them a little while ago, remember?"

"Fuck no. Since when do I read?" He snatched the books from my hands and threw them behind him in the pig sty that his room was.

"You need help" I say folding my arms and giving him a glare. If I didn't say something nobody would.

"You don't know what I fucking need. Stupid kid. Fuck off" He slammed the door. It was the response I expected. He needed help, maybe I could take it to Turner? He always seemed to know what to do. But I didn't. I just went straight to Turner's son, Josh.

"Finally get away?" Josh asks leaning over the counter at the reception.

"You could say that" I laugh.

"It's a little cold out, you want to go upstairs instead?" Josh asks pointing upwards.

I nod my head and follow him into the Turner's base.

"So...this is the Turner sanctuary?" I ask. It was just like a small office block with open room as soon as you go up the stairs and then 3 separate rooms. Two on one side and another on the other side.

"This is where the Turner's thrive. That's dads room, that's Danny's room and this is my room" He says standing in front of one of the doors. Another door cracks open.

"Ah, I thought I could hear your voice" Turner comes out of his bedroom with a notepad and a pen tucked behind his ear.

"Good afternoon" I say to him.

"Yeah, might be a good afternoon for you. I have to work out rations and try to work with some smartasses trying to create power." He chuckles to himself and me and Josh just sort of smile awkwardly.

"See you later then dad?" Josh asks.

"Yeah, you two behave! See yah" He waves as his body disappears down the stairs.

The room was silent. Only filled with bits of furniture a large window and me and Josh.

"So what we going to do?" I ask folding over my arms.

"Monopoly?" He asks

"Our favourite past time" I laugh

"Let's go. I'm totally going to beat you this time" He states.

"Bring it on!" I laugh as he takes out the colourful box.