FY 20

Heiji brushes his hand over his face out of frustration.

He barely managed to escape Shinichi's questioning. He even forgot to advice him to look after Ran. He was shook about their sudden topic.

He doesnt have any clue how the hell did Shinichi learned about his girlfriend a.k.a Shiho.

Flashback

"What do you mean?"

"Don't act like you have no idea, Heiji." Shinichi closes his fists out of frustration.

Heiji raise his eyebrow as he noticed that it's the second time Shinichi called him by his first name.

"Don't tell me, you--"

"Remember everything? No, I am still in the dark, but some fragments of my forgotten memories came back, like how I used to call you by your first name." Shinichi is starting to calm down, he was really frustrated earlier back in the canteen.

When he heard him talking to someone on the phone and when his head didn't hurt even if he tried to think earlier, miraculously- some of his memories came back.

Seeing Heiji in front of him after remembering that he used to call him by his first name- which means that they did became closer back in the US, makes his heart hurt a bit.

It make sense why Heiji were so aloof back then when he loses his memories because he can't and won't be able to tell him the things they did for the past year since it will put him in danger.

He was protecting him.

"Shinichi, you're over thinking things." Heiji sighed.

Acting clueless, it was the best move that he can do.

Shinichi felt like something inside of him snapped as he heard those words, just when he was making a reason for Heiji why he need to act like this, he just kept on denying things.

Looks like Heiji will continue to act like he knows nothing, for what? For his health?

He was about to burst when his phone rang. He was not going to answer it but saw his father calling.

Present

Heiji sighed at the memory, thank god for his Uncle Yusaku's interference, Shinichi's father didnt contact his son in that way- how usual parents greeted their child when they came back from a far away place and so- it kinda made Shinichi taken a back.

Heiji can't thought of anything to say to reason out, Shinichi knows too much now and he's eager to know more.

"Damn it, it seems like we're back to square one." He whispered.

This situation felt like the first time Shinichi got curious about his past that he can't remember.

"Here, tea." Kaito offered, sitting beside his friend.

Its almost midnight and Heiji is still problematic.

"Thanks." His simple answer then drink slowly from it.