We Might be Alright

June walked up to the the closed door of her father's room.

She knocked, and then opened the door.

Larry sat up slowly.

"June...? Sweety what are you doing up so late..?", Larry yawned, and rubbed his eyes.

"I had a really sick nightmare..."

"Sick as in terrifying.. or sick as in gnarly?"

"Terrifying.."

"Let's go down stairs.. I'll make some coffee, and we can talk.. how's that sound?", Larry got out of bed and walked over to June.

Something about his eyes seemed dull, and it got cold when he drew near.

"Ok..", June hesitated.

Was this really Larry..?
Or an imposter? Another nightmare in a nightmare?

Was something about to wrong? Or has something already gone wrong..?

Anyways, they went downstairs, Larry made coffee, and they sat down at the kitchen table.

"Alright.. tell me about it.", Larry said, holding his cup of coffe.

"Ok.. remember that news story on the murders..?", June said, after sipping hers.

"Yeah? What about it?"

"Well... I dreamed that you were right about the murderer jumping a county... and well.. they struck our house first... and... and....", She was starting to tear up a little.. "and I dreamed that they got you.. and.. I-i.. I didn't want to lose you like I lost my real dad... and my mom..", her voice was breaking.

"Hey.. It's ok.. I'm ok... look. Am I see through? Try to stick your hand through me.", it looked like he regretted saying that.

June went to poke Larry, and to her dread, her hand went straight through.

The color drained from her face as she held her hand there, looking the ghost in the eyes.

"Awe... would you look at that... you found me... You know I was going for at least one of your Dads.. but..", this wasn't Larry's voice. It was deep, and echoed despite them being in a room with barely any open space. It seemed to repeat in reverse too...

"Who- What are you??", June stammered, pulling her hand back in a quick motion.

"Oh they never told you? Guess I will then..", The figure, now a black smokey sort of thing, got out of the chair, and got right behind June, speaking into her ear.

"When Sal and Larry were real young.. 15.. maybe even 14... I haunted their apartment complex.."

"Addison Apartments..."

"Bingo. Well, when they.. 'threw me back to hell', they really just broke the curse that was holding me in that fucking building..."

"Why are you.. why are you here..?"

"I'm here to let them know ..", he paused. "To let him.. know I'm not finished yet."

"Him? What do you mean him?"

"Well I already took care of Larry.."

"What did you do to my Dad!?", June stood and faced the foul creature.

"Like I said.. I took care of him."

It was that moment Sal came down the stairs, and asked..

"What's all the yelling about..?"

"Sal, it's.. it's a.. I don't know what it is but it's bad!!", June said, rushing over to him.

"What are you....", Sal looked at June, then to the kitchen.

"Oh look how you've grown..", said the.. the thing.

"June go upstairs. Lock your door."

"But.. Dad... he got Larry... he got him..", June started to cry.

Was she going to lose yet another family? Another pair of parents gone before her eyes?

"Go upstairs.", Sal looked back at June, then to the guitar case that's been sitting in the corner of the kitchen for weeks.

June ran upstairs, and into her room, slamming the door behind her and locking it. Not like that would help against a ghost made of smoke.. but she did it anyways.

Downstairs, Sal and the demon were having a little conversation.

"I swear to all that is unholy if you grab that guitar...", The demon had no control over what happened. He can't grab things in his true state...

"You can stop me, you can even kill me, but my daughter will never let my name die in vain. If you kill me, she'll kill you for sure.", Sal said, inching closer and closer to the guitar.

He got to it eventually, and took it out of the case as fast as he could, and swung it around his shoulder.

The necrolight Todd made 15 years ago was still attached to the body of the old electric guitar.

"Also.. say hi to the unholy lord himself why don't you..", Sal let himself get cocky, as he readied his arm for a demon defeating chord.

"I'll let you say hi to him.. since you want to so bad...", the demon took advantage of his overconfidence, and dispersed into a thick layer of black smoke.

Before June could unlock the door and peer into the kitchen.. the demon had taken Sal. Taken him far away.. to a place June could never reach.

She sat on the stairs holding the stuffed cat her mother had gotten her when she was five.

Kitty sat down beside her, and leaned his fat body on her side.

"I lost them... Kitty.. I lost them..."