Chapter Eleven

11. Here He Comes To Wreck The Day

Magdelena sat on the stone floor her back pressed into a corner, her eyes closed as she tried to think of ways out that she could also escape with Gwen. She could apparate but how would she explain to Gwen how she could do that, not to mention having to keep such a secret, "Gwen?" Magdelena hears the voice of Lancelot, Gwen jumps from the bed standing to see the man.

"Lancelot," Gwen says almost relieved to see him.

"I could not believe my eyes when I saw it was you," his hands grabbing hers as they wrapped around the bars of the small window.

"I thought my mind was deceiving me," Gwen admits turning to Magdelena who sat on the floor, "Maggie come here." Magdelena stands from her seat and stands on the bed next to Gwen smiling at the sight of the man.

"Wonderful to see you again Magdelena," Lancelot says send her a small smile as well, "Why does Hengist think you are Lady Morgana?"

"He believes he's holding Morgana to ransom," Gwen explains before Magdelena can say anything, "When no ransom is paid he will realize the truth and then he will throw us to those beasts."

"I will not allow that to happen," both Lancelot and Magdelena tell her which brought her a small amount of relief to hear both of them saying that.

"What are you doing here? Are you one of Hengist's men?" Gwen asks slightly worried that the answer might be yes.

"No."

"What became of you after you left Camelot?" Magdelena asks him.

"There are few opportunities for men like me," Lancelot says slightly ashamed, "So I've been earning a living the only way that I know: with a sword in my hand. It seems it is my destiny to entertain men like Hengist."

"I don't believe that of you. You were so full of hope," Magdelena says staring at the man who grew sad.

"I was wrong. The world is not like that," his voice sounded almost defeated as he spoke. 

"I still see the hope in you. I do not accept it is gone," Magdelena tells him staring him in the eyes her voice was stern as if she refused to let him lose that hope he once held.

"I have thought of you often, Gwen," he says breaking the contact he had with Magdelena to look at the other woman, "Have you thought of me at all?"

"I thought I would never see you again," she says sadly the sound of doors unlocking, "Someone's coming."

"No matter what it takes, I will find a way to get you two out of here. I will," their fingers slowly separate as Gwen goes to sit down, Magdelena sends out her magic, sending him a message through her thoughts.

'Lancelot if you have to pick between saving Gwen and saving me. Save Gwen.' 

Magdelena jumps from the bed just as Hengist arrives at the front of the cell door, which is opened by the guards as he enters.

"I've not yet received word from Uther that he intends to pay your ransom," he steps closer to Magdelena who stares at him with a bored expression, "I was informed that the King was extremely fond of his ward. Are you not surprised he is content to leave you here to die?"

"I do not try to look into the mind of Uther," Magdelena says, "It would be like trying to figure out what you had for breakfast yesterday. Just a muddle of unrecognizable mush."

"If I do not hear from Uther by dawn tomorrow," he says with a warning look on his face, "this cell will be the last place you ever see." He leaves the cell the door closing with a loud slam, and once again the two girls are alone.

"You should rest Gwen," Magdelena says as she goes to sit back in her corner calmly.

"What about you? You have not slept since we arrived," Gwen says worrying over the woman who was now sitting.

"I do not need sleep Gwen," she tells the woman, "I will sleep when we are free."

"What if we are not free?" Gwen asks, Magdelena stares at the women who was both scared and sad at the thought.

"Gwen I swear on everything I have, I will get you to Camelot, even if it means I must remain here," Magdelena says, "Now please sleep. You need it more than I."

Later that night Magdelena looked to see Lancelot sneaking up to the cell, "Lancelot what a wonderful surprise," she says moving forward while whispering in hopes of not waking Gwen, "What brings you to this dark place?"

"Your words yesterday, if they were you," he says, "I can not leave you here Magdelena, I will get you both out."

"Lancelot, ever the knight are you," she says, "I wasn't asking you to leave me, I am telling you, leave me."

"Maggie I ca-" 

"Lancelot?" Gwen's voice asks as she crawls over to the wall where he stood.

"I was terrified I might find your cell empty," he informs her but those words did little to comfort her.

"There's been no word from Uther. I fear Hengist is growing suspicious." Gwen tells him, he grabs her hands once again.

"You must keep up the pretense. I will not allow you to die here," he says sparing a glance to Magdelena as he says, "Neither of you." Magdelena suddenly went deep into her thoughts, trying to debate if it was worth the risk or not. She was still unsure until she heard the end of the conversation.

"It's the truth. For all my words, for all that I believed, I have come to nothing." Lancelot tells Gwen who shakes her head slightly at his words.

"You are everything that is right with this world."

"I did not know you felt that way," Lancelot whispered to Gwen they stared at each other with love clear in their eyes, her mind was made up.

"Gwen? Lancelot?" she says as they turn to look at her, "Can I trust you?"

"What do you mean Maggie?" Gwen asks confused by her words.

"I need to know you will not tell a soul, no one can know what I am about to do," her words made them even more confused as they stared at her her eyes slightly fearful.

"I will not tell a soul," Lancelot tells her, "Your secret will be safe with me." 

"Same for me," Gwen says, Magdelena nodded and turned to Gwen pulling her away from the gate as she closed her eyes. Lancelot was shocked as they disappeared from the room in front of him before he heard a gasp and turned to see both girls safe a few feet away from him.

"Lancelot take her and run," Magdelena says, "I can buy you two some time."

"Maggie no!" Gwen cries grabbing the arm of the woman beside her.

"I will see you on the other side," Magdelena says.

"We started together and we will leave together, you either come with us or we come with you," Gwen says, Magdelena smiled at the girl her voice was stern and she sounded like a Lady.

"Very well," Magdelena says as they begin to sneak their way through the dungeons trying to find the best exit.