Chapter Twenty-One

21. Her Smell Is Worse Than Anything

Magdelena stood behind Uther watching in slight humor as every single other person in the room - minus her servant Jonas - gaged or covered their nose from the smell which came from the Queen. Who was sitting on a pile of horse dung and straw, her once the white dress was stained brown down the fought and her teeth and face had dung surrounding her lips. Magdelena bites her bottom lip as the Troll pushes a piece of dung toward Uther, "That is for you," she says earning a smile from Uther, "Now, tell them about our plan, beloved. Plan." 

"We're introducing further taxes." Magdelena glares at the troll from behind, Leon sees as do a few other members sitting at the table.

"Sire, we can't," Leon tells him his face drawn in worry, "The people've given all they can."

"You told me that before, and yet our coffer is full," Uther says sparing a look at the troll who lets out a fart which fills the room with more hot, smelly air.

"Your people are already going hungry," Leon tells him hoping to get the King before him sees some sense, the bowl of dung is placed on the table as the troll looks ready to attack.

"Are you questioning my orders?" Uther asks in a harsh tone one that Magdelena was familiar with.

"It's just if we take more, they'll starve," Leon says the troll stands from her seat and Jonas beside Leon leans toward him.

"Who are you to tell me what's best for my people?" Uther asks staring at Leon with a harsh glare, "You will collect more taxes, or you will lose your head." Jonas sniffed Leon and Magdelena walked over standing beside Leon, she leans down blocking his as she gives him a harsh glare making him back off.

"Lose your head!" the troll laughs as if it was some joke, "Lose his head." 

"I understand Bayard of Mercia wishes to honor our marriage with a visit," Uther says changing the subject to get on with the meeting.

"Yes, Sire," Leon says his voice was hesitant as he tries to block out the smell.

"Oh, good!" the troll says leaning against the table once again, "Now, tell this Bayard we expect gifts. Lots of lovely shiny gold."

"I-- I think at this time it might be wise to-" Leon begins but is cut off as the troll lets out a loud belch, "..to respectfully decline his offer of a visit."

"I'm still not sure that we can trust Bayard," Leon says covering for the truth which everyone knew.

"Nonsense," Uther says smiling joyously at the knight, "He is a friend of Camelot. Magdelena, send our reply. It will be an honor to feast with him."

"Of course Uther," Magdelena says, "Now may I leave? I am sure everyone here wants to get out of the smell of this room."

"What smell?" Uther asks staring at his servant as the members at the table stare at her with pleading eyes.

"Tell your wife there is such thing as too much perfume," Magdelena snaps at him before rushing from the room to head to the chambers to see what Gaius and Merlin had come up with, but Merlin was already walking with him, each grabbing one of her arms dragged her backward toward the chambers of the Prince. Magdelena listened to the plan of faking the death of the Prince to get the King to cry in order to break the curse. 

"So your great plan is to kill me?" he asks looking at Merlin who was making the Prince's bed.

"No. Well, yes," Merlin says tidying the room up a bit as he walks around talking, "It...not exactly. It's...Gaius has made a potion that gives the appearance of death without the actual dying bit. It's fine. There's nothing to worry about. It'll only bring you to the brink of death."